should i upgrade valve springs for hks 272 cams

disturbed1

Jan 10, 2006
perth
running a 1jz in a circuit/drag racing car and picked up some hks cams for a price i couldnt refuse...

not bothered the slightest if i dont get much life from each motor since they cheap as chips over here..

will be runnign a gt30r and planning to pump 25 psi down it on e85 and rev to around 7500-8000 rpm unless theres no point I(power dropping off at 7000)

have read that alot of people dont rekon u need to but alot of time has past since then so just seeign what the consensus is these days..

if they are recomended - what options are out their other then the crower stuff

cheers

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
A friend of mine tried running them with the stock springs and retainers and hept spitting out shims. I don't know that you HAVE to do it, but for those bigger cams, I would.

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Springs and retainers are recommended for anything bigger than 264 duration cams. You can probably get away without upgrading if you have your shim tolerances pretty tight. With that said I would just upgrade anyways if you plan on revving that high.

c2m

Jul 4, 2005
SoCal
I've run these before on the stock springs and it was fine...but i did change to shimless buckets... or in your case i'd use shim under bucket so you can reshim more cheaply if an engine lets loose...

in my opinion, if doing a lot of trips up to 8000rpm (and there will be power there with those cams...), put in ARP rod bolts...

good luck