should i drill threw the water jacket?

jackieboy

Dec 6, 2009
brisbane
hey guys, im doing an engine overhaul on my 7mge, its got a blown HG, the last water jacket has badly corroded my head (pretty deep), so im thinking about drilling it threw before it does it itself. is this a good thing to do? chers
48199d1311062227-7mge-overhaul-102_6226.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You can try it if you want. Toyota must have not done it for a reason tho. I was going to try it for shits and giggles but not any time soon. WOuld have to make sure you dont go to far for the copper sealing jackets.

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
bioskyline;1744126 said:
i wouldnt do it myself, id get a shop to do it. that way if they mess up not your problem, and they owe you a head

Now that's what I call taking advantage. ^_^.

Yeah I find it a bit puzzling too that it's blocked off.

Hopefully someone can chime in here.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
I would imagine it is to slow the coolant flow down so that it does not travel to quickly through the head and is able to stay in the engine long enough exchange the heat from the engine to the coolant, but that is just a guess. Also as someone who works in a shop bioskyline you are the kind of person who makes our lives worse. Having to pay for something because you want something done even though it may cause a problem then blame the shop. Just wrong man just wrong.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
metaphysico;1750009 said:
I would imagine it is to slow the coolant flow down so that it does not travel to quickly through the head and is able to stay in the engine long enough exchange the heat from the engine to the coolant, but that is just a guess. Also as someone who works in a shop bioskyline you are the kind of person who makes our lives worse. Having to pay for something because you want something done even though it may cause a problem then blame the shop. Just wrong man just wrong.

if it cant be drilled thru, the shop should tell you. they may just recomend filling it in to stop the corosion.

wasnt meaning to be a dick with the shop comment, but i let the experts at the shops awnser questions that im unsure of, and there normally insured incase of accidents with machining tools

though i did have one shop wreck a flywheel once, and he gave me a new one for the machineing fee.

Last edited:

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
let me just state that if those water jackets were meant to be drilled they would have done that themselves at the factory...i wouldn't do it if i were you. i would either see if they can fix it..or get a new block.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
There is a thread on this, just can't find it at the moment. I believe it has been done to increase the coolant for the #6 cylinder.

IJ would know may be he'll chime in.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
AJ'S 88NA;1750122 said:
There is a thread on this, just can't find it at the moment. I believe it has been done to increase the coolant for the #6 cylinder.

IJ would know may be he'll chime in.

Never seen any hard data to support this either way AJ....