Should I do it?

Should I get it?

• Yes

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Depends on if the body is good etc....

Votes: 12 48.0%

• Total voters

exander

Anything but Lurker
May 23, 2006
colorado
Well, I can finally make the decision to buy a Supra. I have not seen it as of yet, I don't even know what color it is. The only info I have right now is that it's an 1985 and has the notorious BHG. The ad says $500 OBO so I figure if I show up with $300 cash and decide to buy on the spot they will take it. The ultimate questions is, should I even bother with it? Or should I wait and get something running. I do have a running Celica, so it's not like I will be in a position where if it doesn't run something could be in jeopardy.

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
exander said:
Well, I can finally make the decision to buy a Supra. I have not seen it as of yet, I don't even know what color it is. The only info I have right now is that it's an 1985 and has the notorious BHG. The ad says $500 OBO so I figure if I show up with $300 cash and decide to buy on the spot they will take it. The ultimate questions is, should I even bother with it? Or should I wait and get something running. I do have a running Celica, so it's not like I will be in a position where if it doesn't run something could be in jeopardy.

if u have the money to fix it up sure why not...

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Syris said:
go for a mk3!

Uh I didn't see a mk3 in the poll anywhere :icon_conf

Check the body thoroughly! Rust loved the mk2 very much, make sure the quarters aren't rusted to hell, wheel wells, undercarriage, etc.

Good luck

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I'd say yes even if it needs some body work. Clean MkIIs are nice. I used to hate them but I was recently converted by Boost Lee... And a crazy ass lime green MkII

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
oscolivar1 said:
if u have the money to fix it up sure why not...
phuck dat

no reason to buy a non running car because it's cheap. It will end up costing probably twice as much more money to make it decent than if he bought a decent running car to start off with.

but that's just me.

exander

Anything but Lurker
May 23, 2006
colorado
UPDATE: I called on it this morning. The owner was in Denver and is coming back tomorrow. It was his Grandmother that I spoke to and she said the body was in very good condition. She said the only problems that she knows of are the headgasket and the dash is a little bit messed up from being in the sun. I am going to look at it on Thursday.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
OneJoeZee said:
phuck dat

no reason to buy a non running car because it's cheap. It will end up costing probably twice as much more money to make it decent than if he bought a decent running car to start off with.

but that's just me.

I bought my car for $200. It was a rolling chassis, no engine or transmission.
Already had guts to put in the car, so that cost $0. I basically bought my car for one reason, and one reason only.... the black leather interior. Was only available for one year, and it was decent when the car was bought. Hubby and kids have since destroyed it. >.< Has ran fine all this time til the engine ate itself in November.

With Mk2s, if you can find a rust free chassis, or close to rust free, it doesn't matter if it runs or not. It'd definitely worth the effort to get it if you like mk2s, as good bodied Mk2s are becoming increasingly rare.

Would you rather have a great running car that's a rusty POS? Sure you can have all that fixed in a bodyshop, but for thousands of dollars if you can't do that shit yourself. Fixing a BHG and replacing a dashboard really isn't a huge deal if that's all that's wrong with it.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Tanya said:
Would you rather have a great running car that's a rusty POS? Sure you can have all that fixed in a bodyshop, but for thousands of dollars if you can't do that shit yourself. Fixing a BHG and replacing a dashboard really isn't a huge deal if that's all that's wrong with it.

If the car is BHG'd, I wouldn't trust it without rebuilding it. Who knows how much coolant is in the oil.

I meant great running car to imply the body was fine, paint is good, interior is nice, and the car runs and drives with minimal quirks. Any rust is too much rust.

pay less initially for non running car = more money for maintenence, less money for upgrades, and car isn't driveable until you've sunk enough money into it.

pay more initially = still maintenence money(of course) but not as much, more money for upgrades, and the car is running the whole time.

The only non running cars that would be worth anything are ones that could be described as 8/10 or higher in the paint/body/wear and tear areas. but that's just my opinion

There's variables and exceptions to rules to everything of course.

Mk3Jesse

Fire is my friend.
Oct 22, 2006
Augusta, GA
www.myspace.com
OneJoeZee said:
If the car is BHG'd, I wouldn't trust it without rebuilding it. Who knows how much coolant is in the oil.

I meant great running car to imply the body was fine, paint is good, interior is nice, and the car runs and drives with minimal quirks. Any rust is too much rust.

pay less initially for non running car = more money for maintenence, less money for upgrades, and car isn't driveable until you've sunk enough money into it.

pay more initially = still maintenence money(of course) but not as much, more money for upgrades, and the car is running the whole time.

The only non running cars that would be worth anything are ones that could be described as 8/10 or higher in the paint/body/wear and tear areas. but that's just my opinion

There's variables and exceptions to rules to everything of course.

Preaty much what he said, but if you want to learn alot about the car, project cars are the way to go. Jus tmake sure you know what your getitng into before you buy it.

exander

Anything but Lurker
May 23, 2006
colorado
NEW UPDATE: I went and looked at the car today. The guy that owned it said he had just rebuilt the engine and put on an aluminum head gasket, but he didn't retorque it, he said as soon as it started to overheat he immediatly shut the car off and towed it home where it has been sitting for the last year and a half. The thing that need fixed/replaced are....
The drivers side window has been busted and needs replaced. The seats will need reupholstered. And there was a couple spot of rust. One small spot right below the windshield, and another larger one and the passenger rear quarted. They both aren't really visible, but can definitley pose a problem. the body besides that was in good condition as in, no dents or rock chips at all. He is wanting $500 for it and sounded pretty firm on the price. Next weekend I am going to go down with a friend of mine that does body work to see what he can do with the rust spots and if they're fixable. Also another friend of mine that is a mechanic for a living said that sometimes when the headgasket isn't retorqued properly it can cause warping, and may need remachined. But he also said that sometimes all that needs to happen is retorque it and it may run as if nothing ever happened.
Also the struts have been replaced about 4 years ago, I'm not sure of the current condition. He said the last time he drove it, it was really smooth.
He also seemed like a reasonable and fair person, for example, I didn't notice the rust on the rear quarter and he actually pointed it out to me instead of trying to hide it. He also said that all of the electrical componets worked last time he drove the car, but it was over a year ago, so I suppose things could have happened since then. So far this is everything I can remember at the moment. If I remember anything new I'll post it.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Bleh sounds kinda crappy, I would offer him $375 for a rusty, BHG, bad interior car. since the car has been sitting for a long time, it may have a lot of other issues the owner isn't aware of, be cautious!