Should I buy it or not?

Aaron J Williams

Make It So!!!
Jul 23, 2006
Luck, Wisconsin
I have a chance to buy a Black 1990 supra targa turbo 5 speed for $600. It is 4 hours from my house. The owner says the engine is shot. It has a MAF translator, blitz BOV, short throw shifter, stainless 3" exhaust all the way back to a Magnaflow dual outlet muffler. Interior is shot, gauges don't work, and it has some sort of boost controller that is controlled by a switch on the dash? It won't idle and has a knock. Owner says it smokes black at 3K rpm and probably won't drive itself onto my trailer. No coolant in the oil, no oil in the overflow bottle and it supposedly had some head work done to it. The owner bought it modded, knows nothing about cars, and it crapped out on him right away. One headlight doesn't open by itself and the front bumper, hood, and drivers fender are crunched up. Paint is oxidized and there is one rust spot on the rear wheel well. For the same $600 I could buy 2 Suzuki GS 650s with titles 40 miles from my house that I can re-sell in the spring for $1000 each. I value your opinion here so what do you think?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
tissimo said:
buy the 90.. part it out.. worth more then that in parts.. then go back and buy the bikes... win win

I totally agree here. The MAF system is pretty much worth the 600 by itself. If the exhaust is name brand stuff and not fabbed up, another 300-500. Engine- 100-300. Turbo (if works) 50-150. Rear end....? Tranny...?

There's a lot of money to be had there, plus you could probably use some of those parts yourself ;). That's 600 bucks well spent, hell I'll buy it if you don't!

NJsupraA70

Ex-Supra Owner
Sep 18, 2005
NJ
starscream5000 said:
The MAF system is pretty much worth the 600 by itself.

How do you figure? The maf-ts are worthless now now that the maftpro is out. The maft-t's didnt go for half that brand new, and the maftpro can be had for 500'ish brand new now.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
^ Sorry 'bout that, ;) I automatically assumed MAFT Pro when I was skimming, no big deal anyways.

That car is still worth a lot more than 600 whether he keeps it and rebuilds it, or parts it out. It would be stupid to pass up a good deal like that supra. If I lived closer to it, I'd be over there with a trailer and 600.00 bucks in my hand in the time it took me to drive there ;).

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Dude, I got first dibs on the tail lights if they're in pretty shape ;). Hit me up when/if you buy it... Maybe the stock shifter too (if I don't have another one by then).

What kinda exhaust does it have? Did the guy tell you?

Aaron J Williams

Make It So!!!
Jul 23, 2006
Luck, Wisconsin
starscream5000 said:
Dude, I got first dibs on the tail lights if they're in pretty shape ;). Hit me up when/if you buy it... Maybe the stock shifter too (if I don't have another one by then).

What kinda exhaust does it have? Did the guy tell you?
The tail lights look good in the picture but it doesn't have a stock shifter. It's a short throw from what the owner says. All I know about the exhaust is it's supposed to be all stainless. I know it has a magnaflow , he took a pic of the muffler. I was hoping the MAF translator was worth something but I don't think it's a pro.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
If the body is straight and you part it out, I'll kick ya squire in da nutz... ;) If the body is a wreck, then yeah, part it... But with all the cars bein wrecked and crushed and ruined, if you can save one, save it... If you cant, one of us will... But dont take a perfectly good Supra and part it so you can make a few bucks... Come on...

Aaron J Williams

Make It So!!!
Jul 23, 2006
Luck, Wisconsin
Reign_Maker said:
If the body is straight and you part it out, I'll kick ya squire in da nutz... ;) If the body is a wreck, then yeah, part it... But with all the cars being wrecked and crushed and ruined, if you can save one, save it... If you cant, one of us will... But don't take a perfectly good Supra and part it so you can make a few bucks... Come on...
I'm on the same page as you, I hate to part out a car with a good title. The front drivers corner is beat up and the paint is bad and the interior is shot, and the motor is supposedly junk.Now he says the freshly rebuilt CT 26 won't boost because of an exhaust leak. It would take a lot of coin to fix this car. It's nice to know that if I do pick it up i'll be able to get my money back out of it regardless. I suppose i'll have to get it and see how bad the engine is. I'm guessing the MAFT was not calibrated right and burnt a piston? The owner says it doesn't miss though so I don't know WTF is up. I wish it was closer so I didn't have to diagnose it over the phone.

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
I would buy it!!!! And im totally on the same page as Reign Maker about parting. Keep in mind Im the guy that saved a car that should have been parted.............................:icon_bigg

Northstar24

7M FTW
May 19, 2005
Menomonee Falls, WI
If the frame is straight, you should save it, or point someone that is interested in saving it to the car

Parting it out for the sake of parting it out and making some coin is stupid. There weren't many Supras to begin with, and after 12+ years, they are getting few and far between

Save it if its savable and enjoy the turning heads as you roll by behind the wheel of it

Supra FTW :love: