Shortening Shift Throw

Shatonapples

Jul 1, 2007
Austin, TX
Vehicle Dynamics seems like the best option of places to put this post, don't hesitate to move it if it isn't in a fitting spot.

While neck deep in my LS1 swap and brainstorming about the future, I was thinking about short throw shifters. I saw one at some point for well over $230, which for a pipe seemed beyond outrageous to me. What has everyone else done for decreasing the shift throw?

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Poodles is right, the SOGI mod only shortens the length of the shifter, not the "throw" on the transmission side like a true short throw does. Since our shifters go directly into the transmission the pivot point has to be physically raised. This requires extending the transmission housing itself while preserving the sealed environment and preventing containments from entering. As you might imagine this requires manufacture of more than just a "pipe".

Here is a good picture of all the parts that go into creating a true short throw for our car.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1232833&postcount=43

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Neodeuccio;1463714 said:
No, the SOGI mod doesn't really shorten the throw, but bang for buck, it's a good mod... cuz it's free.

Nuh it isn't it's a PoS ;)

Mine buzzed around hwy cruise and the only way to get it to STFU was to drive with my hand on the shifter....

Spend a couple of $100 you'll be glad you did in the long run.

ft413

learner
Sep 23, 2008
EL
really?^ mine doesnt make any noise even at 100+ i didnt feel or hear anything, maybe i just got lucky, i like it alot more that the stock shifter.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
mine's got quite a bit of trans noise except in 1:1 4th gear (that's my reasoning at least). wish i'd go with a C's or suprasport.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Not to mention the shifter should be close to the steering wheel for real driving.

SOGI mod is more about looks than function, i.e. stupid

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
I still need to replace my blown engine, so I can't comment on noise (she hasn't run un almost 2 years now), but I replaced both the socket and seat with marlin crawler poly parts, and the feel is very good.

And like I said, if you want to keep it cheap... for a total of $16, there isn't a better option out there.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
I have a 1st-gen S3 without any isolation, so tranny noise does come through. The plus is you sure can feel what's going on, which I like enough to put up with the noise.

It's way more than just a rod. There's a ball and socket, with a housing around it. I forget how much I paid, but it was reasonable for what it is.

Asterix

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Neodeuccio;1463753 said:
I still need to replace my blown engine, so I can't comment on noise (she hasn't run un almost 2 years now), but I replaced both the socket and seat with marlin crawler poly parts, and the feel is very good.

And like I said, if you want to keep it cheap... for a total of $16, there isn't a better option out there.

Stock is free and doesn't buzz....

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
I've driven a Supra with a SOGI modded shifter and it wasn't that bad. Mind you it was only for a couple of miles, but still. The only complaint I had about that particular shifter was that it was hard to hit shifts if you don't have your hand on the shifter the entire time.

I'd personally get a Suprasport shifter or one of Nashman's shifters

Shatonapples

Jul 1, 2007
Austin, TX
Cool, well, thanks for all the replies, I still think that all of the short throw shifters are ridiculously overpriced, but I guess I just need to try to fab one so I can see why they cost so much.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Mass produced short shifters for other cars (mustangs, camaros, ect) are well over $100, usually $150-$200. Now make them in small production runs, and in the case of the C's, shipping from overseas, ect...