shortening automatic shifter?

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
hey guys, i'm looking for a possible way to shorten the automatic shifter. i'm putting a carpc in the stock location, and really don't want to block the screen as much.

anyone worked with this? i've looked at pretty much every automatic aftermartket knob out there, and none look much shorter.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
You could shorten the lever, which is plastic, it has enternals running inside too(wires for O/D and the shifter button) shorten thoes as well, cut the shaft, and I don't see why not.

927mgtepat

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Brighton, MI
I have done it on a friends car, It is not easy. You need a drill press, and other machine tools to do it cause you haft to re-make some of the inside parts.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
not trying to thread jack but i've seen aftermarket knobs like ebay ones for auto shifter. i have opened the shifter but the actual plastic rod is not round but more of a oval shape and i tried to fit my aftermarket knob but it wouldn't fit. Does anyone know how to install them. is there any cutting involves to the OEM shifter for this to work?

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
Here is a few pivs of mine with the momo knob. NO it was not easy. I still have a lot of work to make it look stock to.

p498709_1.jpg

p498709_2.jpg

927mgtepat

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Brighton, MI
I know how to do it, You need to use a lathe and make a new otter shell that replaces the oval one. That's how I fitted the Ebay one on my friends

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
that's just flat out too much trouble. thanks guys!!

i'm just going to redo the console and put the monitor higher up. i'll figure out something for the bottom part.