??? Short To Ground ???

Dr Chill

4 hungry Supras
Nov 27, 2007
Mississippi
dumbo;1220017 said:
it sounds as if the cps is probable, have you check it per tsrm, and coils and igniter. i would focus on that, but not exclude everything else. i would ground the bracket of your coil pack, and install the internal ground of your igniter for good measure. even if one of the coil packs has a open and was not working i'd say i tihnk it would still run on 4 cylinders, not pretty though. i wouldn't get wires from the dealer, nor a tundra. why not order ones for your car from napa or something, got my msd's from ebay-perfect fit.

EDIT: just read the first page. how did you get the EFI to top blowing?

I got the EFI to quit blowin by finding the short in the wireing on the O2 sensor , & another in the engine harness ... So Im not exactly sure which one fixed that ,

Today I checked the CPS itself .... Pre TSRM .... Its a gonner .
I did the coil packs also , They were fine & grounded also . I also did a spark test & get spark ,
I checked for codes & got a code 12 , again ... looked further into the TSRM & belive since the CPS wont send the RPM signal to the ECU , The engine will NOT start ,
So ...... Anyone have a CPS they wanna part with for a fair price . Ive seen em' on here before , & now that I need one I cant find nothing ...:cry:

Dr Chill

4 hungry Supras
Nov 27, 2007
Mississippi
So ...... Anyone have a CPS they wanna part with for a fair price . Ive seen em' on here before , & now that I need one I cant find nothing ...

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Dr Chill;1220149 said:
So ...... Anyone have a CPS they wanna part with for a fair price . Ive seen em' on here before , & now that I need one I cant find nothing ...

i would post in the Part wanted section, good to hear you MOST likely got her figured, good luck on finding a CPS wouldn't be to hard on this site, i found mine no prob.
tell us how it goes
If You Cant Find One In 5 days

Dr Chill

4 hungry Supras
Nov 27, 2007
Mississippi
sneakypete;1219996 said:
tell your buddy to rewire the connector for the CPS while he is at it. often time that is the problem. sounds like your harness isnt in good shape. you may want to consider repairing/replacing to spare yourself from future headaches.
-pete

I did the re-wire today . easy as cake .
about the harness though .
Well , it is 21 years old , so im sure there will be some problems , I expect them & understand that there will most likely be more , always more .
:3d_frown:

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
Good to hear you think you found the problem. You aren't kidding about the harness. I cleaned mine up with 3m brand electrical tape (the good shit not that chinese junk) on the manifold side and put new plastic wrap where it was needed. Even got new plastic "wire holders" for the route along the manifold from the dealer.
Next is the water housing plugs.

Even though it's 20 yrs old you're gonna hit snags at the beginning. Mine was neglected so I'm basically just doing the 5 years of maintenance that it didn't get.

Dr Chill

4 hungry Supras
Nov 27, 2007
Mississippi
easternguy2005;1220747 said:
Good to hear you think you found the problem. You aren't kidding about the harness. I cleaned mine up with 3m brand electrical tape (the good shit not that chinese junk) on the manifold side and put new plastic wrap where it was needed. Even got new plastic "wire holders" for the route along the manifold from the dealer.
Next is the water housing plugs.

Even though it's 20 yrs old you're gonna hit snags at the beginning. Mine was neglected so I'm basically just doing the 5 years of maintenance that it didn't get.

I hear ya on that ,
I got a CPS this morning & now have to wait for it to come ,
Im gonna also re-loom & re-tape all of my harness . Also try to keep it away from any hot aeras ,,,if thats possible .
So now I am gonna put my interior back together while I wait fot the CPS
I hope the cps does the trick .... I tested the CPS & wasnt gettin a RPM signal to the ECU ,from the CPS , so Im 9O% that its the CPS giving me problems...

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
Luckily not many wires live on the turbo side as far as hot spots go.

Seems like everything takes at least a week to arrive. When I had an RX-7 it seemed like everything was $400 at the dealer. You couldn't buy the front wheel bearing, you had to buy the whole hub for instance. But Napa had the bearing and races for $20. Haven't figured out how to speed the parts thing up here though LOL. I've been checking the junk yards more lately.

Ordered new plugs for the fan and ECM plugs today. Who know how long I'll have to wait.

Dr Chill

4 hungry Supras
Nov 27, 2007
Mississippi
easternguy2005;1221945 said:
Luckily not many wires live on the turbo side as far as hot spots go.

Seems like everything takes at least a week to arrive. When I had an RX-7 it seemed like everything was $400 at the dealer. You couldn't buy the front wheel bearing, you had to buy the whole hub for instance. But Napa had the bearing and races for $20. Haven't figured out how to speed the parts thing up here though LOL. I've been checking the junk yards more lately.

Ordered new plugs for the fan and ECM plugs today. Who know how long I'll have to wait.

Seems like the better import tuners take alot of $$$ & the parts are harder & harder to get as people are crushing good parts daily ...
I seen 3 MKIII supras in 1 yard here in MS & was amazed ...
Thats the 1st time in 1O years I've ever seen that many in 1 Junkyard ...
I own 4 though & wont let em' go to A junk yard .......EVER
Id rather someone buy it from me & be happy with a good project ,, Ya know ?

Dr Chill

4 hungry Supras
Nov 27, 2007
Mississippi
CajunKenny;1222189 said:
Just a thought... Why not take a CPS out of one of the other supras to confirm the problem? :dunno: :)

2 are N/a
The other Turbo needs everything electronic ....
Basicly , I only have 1 CPS ...
I would love to rule it out by testing though .

Dr Chill

4 hungry Supras
Nov 27, 2007
Mississippi
I put in the CPS today & got The SUP' back running again ..... But I need to set the timing .... She seems a lil' sluggish .... So I will be woprking on the timing tomorrow ...
It felt good hearing her start up again today .... Even though the timing was off ...