Short throw shifter

Status
Not open for further replies.

deranged

1988 Turbo Supra
Jul 15, 2007
TN
I think I'm gonna try the crawler bushing and see how that works. I really want a 'short throw'. I don't want just shorter than I have now.

Might I be able to get one around town?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I personally dislike short throw shifters. I have one in my DD and it's too damn notchy for me anymore. I liked the silky smooth feel of the stock shift more than I do this sucker. I loved it at first, but it's irratating now. I've had ST shifters on other cars before too and they are all too notchy now that I recall the feel of them. I'm glad my supra and the other car have the stock shifters still. I can't find the stock shifter for my DD for nothing, I'm so pissed...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
yes, and get the cup too as it's probably worn as well...

a word of warning though, the shifter cup ont he bottom is a VERY tight fit and will not go in crooked, don't force it, keep trying to stab it in straight... I've been telling people about the marling crawler bushings cine I owned my truck (the shifter is over tiwce as long and VERY hard on the shifter bushing, replaced it with a toyota piece and it was still squishy, got the marlin piece and it rocked. It now lives in my supra since I sold the truck...with the old supra bushings in it and you could ROW the shifter in gear...)

I got the TRD knob from my local dealer Duane, though there is also a GB for them on here... It's leather and yes it has a bit more weight to it than the stock knob, feels fantastic (I also have a ball shift knob I got with the car, I used to use it while driving really agressively, but weight of the TRD one makes shifting easier)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
there is the shifter bushing where the actual main fulcrum point is, and the little cup that goes on the end of the shifter and goes into the hole to interface with the tranny to actually shift. The Marlin Crawler st is a VERY tight tolerance and forcing it will usually just shave off part of the cup and make it loose, which defeats the purpose of replacing the parts...

get it to go STRAIGHT in and it's fine...

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
me my self can not go back to a stock shifter it just to slow

you have to train your foot to be tad faster and ajust your clucth pedal as well to take full avatage

i gonan reatemped short thorw cluthc pedal once again when ever i find time
so it will blend wiht my short shift i make right now

Keith Poe

Sep 26, 2006
Trussville, Alabama
I now have a R154, but I tried the green truck bushing and the one that goes on the end of the shifter on my w58 and still had a very sloppy shifter. I may be wrong, but I think after 200K miles, the piece with the hole in it that keeps the shifter from coming out of the tranny was worn out. The hole was enlarged, and I could pull the shifter out of the tranny even with the piece in place! This allowed mine to wobble badly. You might want to check that also.

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
Big Wang Bandit said:
I hear that is a good shifter.

You could always replace your Bushings with Marlin Crawler hardware as well.

I love my C's shifter

I'm sure that C's shifter is awesome!

I've yet to find someone around here who has one to see how it feels.

I think I'd like to get one though.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
short shifters on the R154 are pointless.

To quick. You will be attempting to hammer through the gears but infact be slower. IE measured by time. No what you mind or butt dyno feel. The R154 was not designed with short shifter so as such all it is, is a "feel good" mod. I rather leave the extra leverage there.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
s383mmber1 said:
Comfort > .001 seconds in the 1/4th mile.....

If 1/4 miles is the issue then the last thing in the car should be a slow as Manual. No amount of short shifting will ever be as fast as a quicker shifting Auto. At that point, auto all the way.

yaitsme

Beach Bum
Mar 2, 2006
Cheatham County, TN
Supra469 said:
I've yet to find someone around here who has one to see how it feels.

:wave:

I dunno what part of MD you're in ... but come on down 301 & we'll meet up somewhere. I love my C's shifter & wouldn't trade it for anything - if I wanna feel like I'm rowing a boat when shifting - I'll drive my F150!

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
figgie said:
short shifters on the R154 are pointless.

To quick. You will be attempting to hammer through the gears but infact be slower. IE measured by time. No what you mind or butt dyno feel. The R154 was not designed with short shifter so as such all it is, is a "feel good" mod. I rather leave the extra leverage there.

It is not even a "feel good" mod IMO. I think they are a waste and like I said, I have tried 2 types.

Duane

Status
Not open for further replies.