short shifter fitment issues

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Well I believe my problem may be in the previous owner, he told me he swapped in a new 1jz but I believe it may of got a new r154 as well. The shifter housing doesn't seem to be far enough back in the tunnel. When I put my short shifter in this was clear. my stock shifter did work but it's also twice as long if not more. Basically when I left it in neutral it's now more like "4th" so when I push to what would of been third it goes to neutral and now I can only get into 2/4/R and then I hit my console where I would just be shifting into 1/3/5. Should I just stick my regular shifter back in or is their a trick to doing this? I don't see how the transmission could be out over an inch though with the motor mounts still being in the same place (jdm jza70).

edit: it's been a long day maybe I just need to sleep on it but help would be greatly appreciated from here.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
hmm well that could be it, but thats odd my stock shifter works fine and just the short shifter has issues. but that would make sense if he got a motor/tranny from a soarer instead of for a supra. I wonder how much a housing will be.

will I definately have a MKIII shifter housing but I think the lexus one would be better =s

Last edited:

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
ok same idea i just misread the whole "when I left it in neutral it's now more like 4th" thing.

There are 6 different housing.
The bottom row are all interchangeable with the supra r154 and i believe the third from the left is the one you want.

They measure 18" 18" 19" 20.5" 20.5" and 21"
toy_boxes36.jpg

Source

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
well I had a quick look at it again, I believe my issue is with the pins in the top of the housing, the stock shifter has two slots for it slide down by the pins but with the aftermarket shifter it has 1 pin in the top part that mounts and when you tighten it into the housing it pushes into the old pins. are they screwed in? I can't see what the pattern is on the head =/

edit: it's clearly visible in the photo you showed me comparing the birds eye view of both housings.

p1932104_1.jpg

it's these two pins ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I believe the new one is hitting on those, well the stock one slid past with it's grooves.