short block build

madseacow

Apr 2, 2005
Buda, Tx
Do I need to hone the cylinders? I had the block decked at the machine shop, I kinda want to just put it all back together but I really don't want to take it apart again. So what can I safely get away with?

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
madseacow said:
Do I need to hone the cylinders? I had the block decked at the machine shop, I kinda want to just put it all back together but I really don't want to take it apart again. So what can I safely get away with?
to ask a question like that means you don't know what you are doing. Thake the block back the shop have them check all the clearences per tsrm. have the rods resized etc. Without honing you will burn oil but you have bigger fish to fry sounds like they should do all the work and you should just put it in

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Mad: Are you putting new rings in?

If so YES our blocks are quite hard and you'll need the honed sharp deges to promote initial ring wear so they seat to the cylinder shape/surfaces or it'll never "seal".

madseacow

Apr 2, 2005
Buda, Tx
should I? everything looks fine but I was smoking... but my turbo is also blown so it could've been that. or it could've been the previous shops head work. wow, I should really jsut take it to a machine shop right? I mean, I have no idea how to check clearances. also I forgot to take the oil pump bearing out before getting the head deck and I can only assume they hot tanked it. I just hate having to trust a machine shop ya know? what if it's fine now but the machine shop is totally innept and destroys all my JDM glory. meh I'm helpless, thanks for trying IJ