Shocking story

SupraLover

Apr 13, 2005
Las Vega$
I'm in MI. and now that the weathers nice, I can drive my car. The problem that I'm having now, is that when I turn the car off and am getting out of the car, I get shocked when I touch the body of the car as I'm getting out. It's just a slight shock, and it does not happen when the car is running. Never happened b/f, but it's been happening a lot now. Any suggestions? Thanks

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
a "workaround" is to touch the car body while stepping out of the car, so the voltage will discharge between your shoe and the ground instead of between your hand and the car body, which is much less painful :)

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
supraaddict87 said:
I'm pretty sure Myth Busters had an episode about the gas pump thing, and on it they said there has never been a reported case of such an occurance.....prove me wrong though:)

mike

oh wow...thats BIG BS! lol... there was even a video of some chick getting lit on fire when she went back to her car to get her purse and then came back to the pump and touched it and BOOM.... ill try and find it...

EDIT: well two seconds into google and i foudn this: http://www.esdjournal.com/static/fires_files/waynes.htm

ill keep looking for the vid of the one im talking about.... trust me IT HAPPENS a lot!

EDIT AGAIN: ok i found the video i was thinknig of.. the girl didnt actually get caught on fire like i thought (maybe it was a different one) but anyways take note of how she doesnt touch ANYTHING when shes gettingo ut of the car the second time...then rubbing even more on her sweater when shes walking to the pump...then touches the metal of the pump and BAM! .... shes hot too ;)

http://threemooneclipse.com/content/video/gas_fire.mpg

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
the mythbusters proved that you can't blow up your car with a CELL phone. Static electricity can indeed ignite gas fumes coming out of your gas tank. This is why you are not supposed to get in and out of your car while fueling, the static discharge when you touch the handle could ignite the fumes. SOOO.....touch the body of the car before you touch anything else and try not to get in and out of your car while fueling. ;)

Lurch

You rang?
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxvegas
Isn't that also why you put those 5 gallon plastic fuel containers on the ground before filling them, and not filling them while in your truck bed, etc.?

Or is it the other way around, I don't recall. But there are signs at my local station about this.

I believe you are supposed to put them on the ground, this makes sense to me, it grounds them :)

1987supraomega

Stupid hurts
Apr 11, 2005
Elroy, WI
www.cardomain.com
you're right fuel cans on the ground, b/c falling gas actually generates static electicity, so after you've filled the can in the truckbed you touch it and ground out then you go bang or maybe more of a ffffffffffffpooooooffff.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
YES!
Most gas pump fires are caused by women who wear silk panties or dresses who GET BACK into the car before they touch the pump again. This is due to static buildup of them going into, and then out of the car again... then touching the METAL fuel pump handle first. On a very calm day this is an easy way to loose your car.