Shock/Spring Removal, Disassembly, Assembly and Installation

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I documented my recent suspension upgrade showing in - a very picture-oriented way - how to remove, disassemble, assemble and install front and rear shocks and springs on a Mk3. It's not a tough job, but hopefully this serves as a good tutorial to some folks.

http://yotamd.com/toyota/mk3_supra/shocks_springs.html

Let me know what you guys think and what parts of the guide are helpful and what needs work. I'll get official "After" pics soon.

New parts included:
Tanabe Springs (GF210)
Koni Sport Shocks (set to medium)
KYB Mounts
Toyota OEM Spring Isolators
KYB Bump Stop and Dust Boots

Total cost: $900.

Biggest benefit: The ride is now firm, yet supple and supportive. There is very little body roll. It's not harsh, but it's not exactly a limousine either. The car looks much better with the slight lowering, but I don't have to drive like a princess around town avoiding every bump. I think it's perfect.

Biggest regret: The OEM isolators are meant for OEM springs (go figure). You can get aftermarket isolators for a lot less and they'll fit much better. OEM springs are shaved flat on the top. Aftermarket - not so much. The picture below shows the aftermarket spring and how the coil is not shaved at all on the top (left side in picture).

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Yeah you really should have gotten the energy suspension spring insulators, just goin off the pics you can tell they are a lot better.
My old ones
sm_photo_missing.jpg

New ones
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Also, do you think that cutting the bump stops is a completely necessary?

P.S. Where were you when I was doing this on my car and kinda had to figure it out on my own? this write up would have saved me a lot of screwing around lol

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I'm unsure on the bump stops, but Tanabe's instructions were clear: cut the bump stop.

From a theoretical stand point, the shock is what determines how far it can travel before damage occurs, not the spring. However, to maintain a similar level of shock travel from the starting point, the stop would need to be cut about as much as the spring drops the ride height. Otherwise you've lost the drop height in shock travel.

When you compress the shock/spring with the weight of the car they compress a ton. There's not that much travel to begin with on lowering springs so I tend to believe the spring makers recommendation to cut the stop accordingly.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Very nice write up!!! I really like your site as well, lots of good info there. I will definitely use this whenever I can make a decision on what to do with my suspension. I have TEMS, but I am not sure if I want to keep it. One day I convince myself I should, and another day I think I should just ditch it. I also have a couple questions on the parts you used.

Where did you get the top mounts/bump stops/dust boots?

I would like to replace all of these things as well when I do mine so it is all new.

Once the car's suspension has settled would you be willing to measure the height of your Supra at the top of the wheel wells? Also, what size tire are you running?

I want to compare these measurements to stock so I can see how much it drops the car, I don't put a whole lot of faith in the factory measurements from Tanabe. I can't afford to drop my car much at all or I won't be able to get into my driveway anymore, but I would like to replace the springs when I do everything just for good measure. I believe Tanabe claims the least drop.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Yup, like yhatzee said O'Reillys (sp?) Or any other parts store should have them, or order online.

For the springs, I can do exactly that. I measured before and have yet to measure after. I've actually had them for a few months now so it should be nice and settled.

Tires are 245/40/17 if I recall. I'll verify. Wheels are 17x8, 35 or 36mm offset.

Thanks for the compliments. I still have a ton of pictures and info to author up, but it takes a ton of time to polish.

Keep checking in and let me know what topics would be worthwhile!

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
suprarx7nut;2025828 said:
Yup, like yhatzee said O'Reillys (sp?) Or any other parts store should have them, or order online.

For the springs, I can do exactly that. I measured before and have yet to measure after. I've actually had them for a few months now so it should be nice and settled.

Tires are 245/40/17 if I recall. I'll verify. Wheels are 17x8, 35 or 36mm offset.

Thanks for the compliments. I still have a ton of pictures and info to author up, but it takes a ton of time to polish.

Keep checking in and let me know what topics would be worthwhile!

Alright, I'll look around for the mounts and such.

Thanks for measuring the heights later then. I'm really hoping they won't drop too much, but they probably will for my needs unfortunately.

I'm sure it does take a long time. The only write up I've ever done was one on changing the high pressure power steering line and it took a while to get all the information written down in an understandable manner.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Long, long, long overdue. After pics from the last 9 months.

Measurements from the wheel well arch:

Before:
Front - 27"

After:
Front - 25 3/8"
Rear - 26"

Looks like I never measured the rear with the stock setup, sorry! After driving a few thousand miles with the lowered setup I can't say I've really noticed much of a difference when driving around town in regards to it being too low. I used to scrape my old neighborhood speed bumps, but only if I hit them at the wrong angles. Easily avoided once you know to avoid big humps in the center of the car.

http://yotamd.com/toyota/mk3_supra/shocks_springs7.html

mk3_ruby_may_2014.jpg

mk3_ruby_2015_1.jpg

mk3_ruby_2015_2.jpg

mk3_ruby_2015_3.jpg