shitty mpg

91 1jz

Aug 14, 2012
branson mo
Why is my supra have such shitty mpg like 30 miles took like an 1/8 of a tank and 40 sum miles too a 1/4 and thats qith me not getting on it and not boostin the turbo

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
It could be dozens of things, you have to give more information than just "why is my car getting bad mileage". Is it burning oil or coolant for starters? Check engine light?

91 1jz

Aug 14, 2012
branson mo
Check engine light is not on not burning oil or coolant for sure new cooling system dont know if its my plugs or not but car run smooth and have full power ideals fine just have exhaust leak

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
I thought this too, cleaned my pod filter and even that made a difference, new exhaust system with headers and straight through - two mufflers I used to get 400km's to a tank before cleaning the pod and new exhaust now I get around 460km's a tank max ever was 515 which is amazing maybe look in to that? unsure what mods your super has so bare with me

91 1jz

Aug 14, 2012
branson mo
The supra is all stock putting new exhaust on the 7th goin 3in from cat back hollowing out cat then going to put a dowinpipe on and 3in pipe from turbo where is the pod filter?

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Fill it up, reset your tripometer, drive a tank, fill it up, divide miles drivenon your trip by gallons you just put in and report back with whatever number that comes up with.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
Then fill up your Supra and write down the starting mileage when you fill up and subtract it from the next fill up, write down how many gallons when you fill up and divide by the miles driven.
How old is your O2 sensor?
Pod filter is your air filter.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
You can't gauge MPG by the needle. I'll go 70 miles before my needle moves from full. at the same time I'll go from 1/4 tank to warning light in 50 miles. I average 22-23, several MPG higher on road trips.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Do what OfnaRcR4 and f00g00 said. Just like Justin said, my gas gauge isn't very accurate. It will show I have a quarter tank, but I can only put in 10 gallons before it is completely full and we have 18.5 gallon tanks. It always looks like I am getting awful gas mileage, but it is always right where it should be.

91 1jz

Aug 14, 2012
branson mo
Idk how old the o2 senser is just got the car not too long ago would the exhaust leak effect the mpg just curious im been thinkin i had a very slow gas leak or something

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
You're seriously going to have to calculate your mpg. It's probably not as bad as you think. Also, if you had a gas leak you would have move than likely smelled something by now.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Heh, all depends on how you drive for the most part. I can WATCH my gas gauge in real time if I'm up in the mountain/canyon roads, probably get around 8-12mpg driving like that.

Or, if I baby it on the highway, I fully believe that I could achieve just over 30mpg. My old NA actually would have made it from here to Vegas (598 miles according to Google) on a single tank run dangerously low, according to my monitoring of how much gas was actually consumed between A and B...

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
When my supra was stock, 7mgte swap in to NA Auto, i was getting 28-20 MPG. It all depends on how you drive and how often you boost. Just calculate your MPG from full to empty with the miles written down.

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
No body mentioned this but also Check Engine Light can store a code and not be on. For example my car has code 31 but the light is off. You have to jump the terminals under the hood with a wire. Read the TSRM.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I get about 18-19 mpg in city because I boost more. Highway I have reached 28 mpg by cruising at 65 mph. If your tank is leaking (mine was) it almost always happens right by where the filler tube goes into the tank (right behind the rear pass side wheel). There is a protector cover there that holds dirt against the tank so its the worst spot for corrosion. I was lucky to find a tank near me for 100.00 because new is about 800+. Feels good to fill up and not have 1/4 tank leak out overnight.