Shipping items internationally

jg5899

Mar 28, 2009
California
Well here's a quick rundown, I frequently sell items on eBay but have never shipped anything internationally until recently. I bought my brother an iPhone as he had been asking for one for months, I planned to give it to him the upcoming weekend as a surprise. But the day after I bought it he comes home with, yup you guessed it, an iPhone. So I decided to sell the one I had purchased on eBay. The lucky winner turned out to be from Russia. All paperwork was filled out accordingly. I shipped the item, took pictures of everything before it was sent out and that was that.

Fast forward to today when the buyer received the package. He sends me a message that he received the item. However an hour later I receive another message about an open case filed from the buyer. I responded to the buyer asking what the problem was and he sent me a response with pictures attached. The box was the same box I had used but the contents and the label on the side stating what was inside was not the same. The package contained perfumes and the label stating the contents rightfully reflected that. Somewhere along the lines someone opened the box and changed the contents and changed the content description.

Does this happen often? Is this a rare occasion? Where do I go from here?

I'm at a bit of a loss right now, I have taken some measures like contacting the postal service and filing a claim. But I don't have too much faith in that. Just wanted to get some of your ideas and insight on the situation, as I know there are many of you that live outside of the US. Thank you in advance for taking a look.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
He is going to have to contact his customs too. The issue is it's Russia...and they don't give a fuck.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Sounds to me like you might be getting scammed... or at least someone is trying to anyway.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I doubt he would have sent you a text saying he got it without first opening it up to make sure he got what he ordered. Maybe the perfume idea came to him an hour later or maybe someone did open it up. Either way, hopefully the pictures you took will help get you off the hook.

jg5899

Mar 28, 2009
California
It seems to me as a scam as well, what came to mind not too long ago was that he specified he wanted me to write cell phone on content description instead of iPhone. Whether that's relevant or not I don't know, but maybe that word was easily changed to what it now states as the contents.

I have contacted the post office and it seems as though they are going to take responsibility (fingers crossed) as to what really happens that's another story.

For future reference is there something I should have done different? Maybe a different carrier? I will let everyone know the outcome, hopefully it's in my favor as I don't want to be out a grand(the final sale price of the phone).

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
jg5899;1897110 said:
For future reference is there something I should have done different? Maybe a different carrier? I will let everyone know the outcome, hopefully it's in my favor as I don't want to be out a grand(the final sale price of the phone).
Just trying to be the voice of reason here, but perhaps spend a more reasonable amount on a portable, fragile communication device next time? Sheesh...

jg5899

Mar 28, 2009
California
I paid far less for the item, around $150 IIRC but the sale price was close to a grand. Lol if never pay that much for such a thing!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I suppose the value of an item is only what the buyer deems it worthy, right? Most people that aren't "car" people would think I was nuts for what I've spent on my room full of go-fast bits. Not until they get a ride do they have any sense of appreciation for it. I can't say I've seen an "app" that makes me think I'd ever want to spend that much (not to mention the monthly costs) on a smart phone. :p