Shimming Wastegate

IAmBoosting

Dec 26, 2013
Work
I have a 1992 Supra turbo with an auto. It is completely stock. I was wondering is it ok for me to shim the wastegate for just a little boost without any other mods? I know fuel cut will play a factor but I want to peak boost around 10-12 psi or just under fuel cut. I just want a little bit more from the turbo. Nothing to crazy but I want to keep the car stock. Any ideas? Thanks. Sorry Im still kind of new to this.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
How many miles on the motor?

head retorqued?

Gonna be hard to get to 10-12psi with stock intake and exhaust...

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
With it being an auto, much over stock boost and your 1st-2nd gear shift will bounce on the limiter for a second or so. There was a member on here that would modify your auto for a more crisp 1-2 shift.

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
You can throw a shim or 2 on the wastegate without any issues just make sure you have a boost gauge so you can see where your at, also you can do a few other low buck mods such as having the pre-cat cut out of the stock down pipe and modding the stock airbox.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Should start with a manual boost controller and gauge first. Set it about 1 psi below fuel cut in top of third gear. Try and find cool am or pm for max air density.

Get a install Trans go shirt kit. Change filter and fluid. Add a transmission cooler and have fun.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
The stock air box flows well at the power level you want. A full 3" exhaust with elbow is a good investment. I have heard the Driftmotion cat back to have good sound but not to loud or droans. Important IMO. I like turbo elbow and down pipe instead elbow built into downpipe. It makes for easier removal for doing work that may require you to remove exhaust. Just IMO.

Shift kit labor price depends on shop labor rate. I feel most tech would want 3 to 4 hours labor to do shift kit. I would rather pay a little extra so they don't hurry. I want the tech working on my car to be happy not rushed and feels appreciated. IMO

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
I would go with the HD-2 and do the install yourself... there isn't much to installing a shift kit, just take your time. I'm sure you can find a walk through on the jeep forums if you need it. I'll see if I can find one....

Here is some info on it...
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ift-kit-just-bought-one-going-to-install.html

and here are some free mods you can do to shim the accumulators...

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?267655-How-to-make-a-a340-last(56kers-take-a-nap

There is no "black magic" in working on an automatic... just take your time and if you get stuck/confused on something, ask someone. Take pictures on tear down... it'll help.

NOTE:
If you buy the kit from transgo, apparently they do NOT come with valve body gaskets so be sure to source them before you start pulling things apart.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
IAmBoosting;2024255 said:
I have a 1992 Supra turbo with an auto. It is completely stock. I was wondering is it ok for me to shim the wastegate for just a little boost without any other mods? I know fuel cut will play a factor but I want to peak boost around 10-12 psi or just under fuel cut. I just want a little bit more from the turbo. Nothing to crazy but I want to keep the car stock. Any ideas? Thanks. Sorry Im still kind of new to this.

Yes, get a low cost manual boost controller, and install a free flowing exhaust.