Shimmed Wastegate?

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Followed directions on this link...
http://www.supras.com/06/techcenter/techtips.php?category=MKIII

Mods: TMS 3" DP, Test Pipe, Blitz Nur Spec, Apexi Power Intake, aluminum DS.

So I shimmed the wastegate with 5 washers at each bolt of the WG actuator in between that and the compressor housing. Hooked everything back up, went out for a test run and only made 5-6psi:aigo: wtf!? I was making higher boost at stock set up (6.8ish psi) Wondering what is going on, if anyone has recommendations or suggestoins I would apprieciate it

Thanks
-Sam

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
Yeah, you did something wrong. When mine was shimmed with two washers, I was pushing at least 9 psi, so something must be off.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
I was assuming it to be a boost leak..but wouldnt there be consistant running issue/misfiring/bad idle? I'm still on the stock shitty IC pipes so:nono: But it runs like a clock, I'll do a boost leak test tonight and let you guys know the outcome.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
1. A wideband would have help you figure this issue out...these should be the very first mod!

2. The boost leak may only leak under higher boost pressure...

85celicasupra

spokane supra owner
Mar 9, 2008
spokane,wa
forums.celicasupra.com
gaboonviper85;1330449 said:
1. A wideband would have help you figure this issue out...these should be the very first mod!

2. The boost leak may only leak under higher boost pressure...

yup..
I had a boost leak for a while and never new it (first turbo car) and just didnt know that my used stock ct26 was suppose to make more than about 5 pounds. Fixed it and made about 6.5...

then today I shimmed my wastegate on my 5mgte and am making a solid 8 or so.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
Yeah a crack in the old dried out stock hoses is very possible, as is a loose clamp, or even a crack in your IC. Less likely would be a bad gasket in your intake parts. any one of these could cause a boost leak a higher than stock pressure, and indeed may have been caused by the excess pressure. Regulate your air pressure when leak testing, as too much pressure might blow out something else, and trick you into thinking it was the original problem, which might lead to not fixing it correctly.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
You put the washers between the Actuator and the housing right (pushing the actuator away from the turbo) and not actually the bolt head and the actuator/turbo?

I put 4 washer on a STOCK car (stock everything) it it took 4 to get it to peak 9-10 psi and quickly fell to 7 at redline, lol.

Last edited:

charman02

Cruiser
Oct 14, 2008
Fresno
Maybe you might have too much wahsers, try putting four washers, see what happens. It might be hitting fuel cut, though you shuold be able to tell if you did.

BGood

Jan 1, 2008
Green Lane
It is not fuel cut. Fuel cut will feel like you are turning the key on and off with the pedal to the floor while you are doing it.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Yes the washers are in between the actuator and the compressor housing.
How would the diaphram in the WG possibly get dammaged?
I'll try n take one washer out to see if it makes a difference..

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
What do you want to see pics of?

-I pulled off all of the lower/upper IC piping and cleaned up the mating surfaces hopefully to make a better seal, and I'm going to remove one washer from each side as well as hook up my MBC to see if we can determine something from it..