shim clearance with new cams?

Slow_Sc3

I beat bikes dude
Apr 2, 2005
Maryland
how far should the intake and exhaust cam be from the shim? thanks.

btw im installing HKS 272 cams if it matters.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
you need to go by the TSRMo r the factory specs.

im not sure what they are. but everyon'es car is different.

Slow_Sc3

I beat bikes dude
Apr 2, 2005
Maryland
The Reaper said:
you need to go by the TSRMo r the factory specs.

im not sure what they are. but everyon'es car is different.

yeah everyones car is different but theres a min and max clearance for the shims duh

s!ke said:
i thought it was .15-.25 for the intake and .20-.30 for the exaust. i could be wrong, but it was something around there. i cant be arsed to pull out the tsrm.

edit: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=8

this is for a 1jz not a 7m.

Rich

tunin' tha beast
Jun 2, 2007
the netherlands
intake 0.15mm - 0.25mm
exhaust 0.25mm - 0.35mm

or for you non-metric people:
0.006 - 0.010in
0.010 - 0.014in

That's for a 1jz and a 2jz (turbo of course)

Slow_Sc3

I beat bikes dude
Apr 2, 2005
Maryland
Rich said:
intake 0.15mm - 0.25mm
exhaust 0.25mm - 0.35mm

or for you non-metric people:
0.006 - 0.010in
0.010 - 0.014in

That's for a 1jz and a 2jz (turbo of course)

so i checked my stock clearance and it was

intake .152mm or .006mm
exhaust was .203mm or .008mm

and that was on all of them.

i got the HKS cams in and there speced to .006 intake and .008 exhaust. should i really go out and set my exhaust shims to .010? since it worked fine @ .008?

Slow_Sc3

I beat bikes dude
Apr 2, 2005
Maryland
i didnt see anything in the box but ill check again, BTW whats the easiest way to put the timing belt on and time the motor?

Rich

tunin' tha beast
Jun 2, 2007
the netherlands
mattsmall said:
so i checked my stock clearance and it was

intake .152mm or .006mm
exhaust was .203mm or .008mm

and that was on all of them.

i got the HKS cams in and there speced to .006 intake and .008 exhaust. should i really go out and set my exhaust shims to .010? since it worked fine @ .008?

.008in is too tight, you ex.valves won't close off properly anymore when things get hot.

I would be surprised if HKS would need different clearances. The clearances are for the head and valves, not the cams. The cams don't get that hot.

Rich

tunin' tha beast
Jun 2, 2007
the netherlands
mattsmall said:
i didnt see anything in the box but ill check again, BTW whats the easiest way to put the timing belt on and time the motor?

Start at the top of the intake cam wheel. Then go down on the right side to the crank whilst keeping the belt tight. The slack should be on the left side; between the exhaust side cam wheel and the crank.
Before you start you need to set the crank at '0'. I always put on the plastic cover temporarily and use the crankpulley to set it and then take the pulley and cover off again. Only turn clockwise btw.
There is a marker on the crank axle, but it's hard to get that exactly right, you could be 1 tooth off real easily like that.

More detail, check the tsrm ;-)

Slow_Sc3

I beat bikes dude
Apr 2, 2005
Maryland
Rich said:
.008in is too tight, you ex.valves won't close off properly anymore when things get hot.

the stock exhaust valves didnt have a problem at .008 and its a lose .008 not a tight .008 by the looks of the stock cams it doesnt look like the back of the lobe ever touched the shims.

its raining right now but ill take a look at everything tomorrow how do you adjust the timing? and should it be at 5* or 10* when at idle?

Rich

tunin' tha beast
Jun 2, 2007
the netherlands
mattsmall said:
the stock exhaust valves didnt have a problem at .008 and its a lose .008 not a tight .008 by the looks of the stock cams it doesnt look like the back of the lobe ever touched the shims.

its raining right now but ill take a look at everything tomorrow how do you adjust the timing? and should it be at 5* or 10* when at idle?

You measure when the engine is cold, but when things get hot they expand, that's what's the clearance for. The expansion could be bigger than your clearance if it's too tight and then the valves don't close properly anymore and you will be losing power. That's why it's best not to go below factory specs, so 0.010in would be lowest.

Furthermore, you say it looks like the back of the lobes don't touch the shims. Might want to check if your springloads are still within spec.

And you can't adjust timing on a jz engine, it's all ecu controlled. The only way would be using a piggyback.

Slow_Sc3

I beat bikes dude
Apr 2, 2005
Maryland
Rich said:
Furthermore, you say it looks like the back of the lobes don't touch the shims. Might want to check if your springloads are still within spec.

i was talking about the old cams i took a look at them and the back of lobes didnt hit on the stock cams @ .008/.009 you can clearly see were oil build up has been sitting for 10 years lol.

thanks for all the help.