shim bucket dropped

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
well i took a chance and took the head off and good thing i did. as you can see it appears that the valve seat came loose and wedged itself between the valve. doesnt appear to have damaged the head really but i will let the shop i got it from worry about that. this is really a first for me. i appreciate all the folks that chimed in. hope this doesnt happen to any of yall out there. once again thanks...:biglaugh: owned by a valve seat...

im gonna take the cam off in a day or so but i wanted to see what yall think is the cause of the bucket falling? could it be the retainers or something else. like i said i will take off the intake cam to see what is going on. has anyone else come across this before and what was the cause of the problem.. thanks..:icon_bigg

Last edited:

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
You can pull it from the top, youll need a valve tool either way. Id take the head off and make sure theres no damage to the ports. It could just be a broken valve spring happened on my car awhile back.

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
ok. i might check that out also.. its a freshly rebuilt head. stock specs. probably 2months old in the car. no heavy boostin done. if that helps to shed some light in the overall pic of what im dealing with.. keep the ideas coming:)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
atl: Head off time!

But first try this>>

Try giving the bucket a good soak with some CRC5-56 then turn the crank so that piston is down (look in the plug hole) then find a piece of wood place it on the top of the bucket and give it a tap with a hammer.

P5150: Maybe but not very common if it is as our springs are so soft stock I'd lean more to a gummed up valve.

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
Dacula...GA. Thats so cool. Like Dracula.

Have you been doing High RPM's? I dont see why a fresh built head would do that, you may have just gotten a faulty piece in the rebuild that gave out. if you had it done by a shop take it back and see what they'll do.

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
taking off the head aint a real issue for me. just want to avoid it if possible. how about the retainers letting loose of the valves? im not sure if thats possible but i figured i throw it out there

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
Yellow 13 said:
Dacula...GA. Thats so cool. Like Dracula.

Have you been doing High RPM's? I dont see why a fresh built head would do that, you may have just gotten a faulty piece in the rebuild that gave out. if you had it done by a shop take it back and see what they'll do.
yea it was a local shop. infact it was dover cylinder head. theres a few of them around the country. i have a 6month warranty on it. i havent been doing high revs. just typical 3500rpm cruising

aljordan

LEADED FUEL ONLY
Jul 14, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
www.apeserver.com
I've seen stuck valves do that. In fact, this particualr motor did this after it lost all its coolant on the dyno. Engine possibly got hot, cooked the oil between the valve and guide thus gumming it up.

This person took the head to the machien shop, told them what happened, and they reamed the valve guides. Works great now.

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
drjonez said:
dead valve or broken spring....
thats the idea i have. im gonna take it off the block tonight and take the head back to the machine shop and have them correct the problem. i'll take some pics of the underside of the head when its off.