she wont start

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
well everyone my dads 89 has been at a paint shop for about 3 months to get the hood repainted it was already flaking. Anyway I drove it up there and parked it everything was fine well they havent touched it at all so we were going to go get it but she wont start. The battery was dead so we tried jumping it off, well dad put the cables on backwards but when i realized there was no lights on the dash i went and fixed it. Anyway it would just turn over and not start. I went and got a brand new battery for it and went out there and it still wouldnt start. Does anyone have any ideas what could cause that i havent checked for spark yet because the paint shop is in the next county and i cant drive out there every day to work on it..

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Stephen

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Check the 100A Alt fuse in the engine bay box...the EFI fuse too. Hooking the battery up backwards may have blown one of them (or both).

bluemkiii

redmkiii's little brother
Jul 25, 2007
phoenix, AZ
hey jdub, Would that 100 amp alt fuse not cause a car to start? because I always have to jump my car to start (dead battery) and it starts and runs with out that fuse. Maybe the wiring on my 1j bypassed that fuse?

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
no she turns over she just wont start i was thinking the big fuse too havent replaced it yet cause i couldnt get it out that little piece of the fuse block tried coming out too but its acting like its not firing or something but i dunno cause i havent checked that yet and dont really have money to put i my camaro's tank to drive out there alot and work on it

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
This is probably the fuse under the dash for efi or something can rember what it was called, but u have 1 under hood and 1 under dash fuse that can cause this. I bought a car and my dad was helping me it jumped off fine we did the deal and when we went to jump off again my dad hooked up wires backwards for a sec that blew the under dash fuse only.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
are you getting fuel, or spark. hooking at bad up wrong will cause problems, but it turns over, does the check engine light come on with key on eng off?
smell your tail pipe after turnign it over for a second;)

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
when we were out there piddling with it i could smell the fuel im thinking its acting like its not getting spark for some reason but it has only poped fuses on us this isnt the first time my dad has dont it lol but i didnt check the fuses in the kickpanel but IIRC the check engine light was on but the fuse block under the hood tried coming out when i tried pulling the 100 amp fuseable link