Shaft play? Explain please. Wiring problem as well.

flyjum

Oct 5, 2006
Mesa AZ
I know what shaft play is but which way is worse... When your hold the fin if you can move up/down or in/out IE toward the back of the car toward the front. Which one tells if its blown. I have 2 turbos and one has in/out other is up/down. My freind just got a supra with 60k on new jdm engine and has mild up/down play. Also the car has a wiring problem the guy he bought it from said that he conected the battery on wrong termminals. Then he tryed to start it and then it never worked after that. What could be the problem? He also put a new Ingtion where the key goes as he lost his old key. EDIT also all the turos spin very freely You can spin the wheel many time with one flick.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
EdgeSupra said:
Putting the connections on the wrong terminals on the battery would fry the harness.
That is what Im in the process of doing also. I fryed my wiring harness on my 87 toyota supra turbo because I was in the middle of doing a head gasket job and I just connected that battery just to listen to the radio for a little while even though I do not leave the battery connected in the car when I work on the engine in the car but the positive touched the block and shorted out the car. It blew the 100a alt fuse and ruined some of my gauges and it ruined the warning lights also on the gauges but everything else worked. Did your friend blow his 100a alt fuse?

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
you can fry the ecu also. a local guy did that (connected the harness up backward and poof went the ecu)

as for the turbo front/back play is much worse than radial. a little radial is normal as the turbo is oil lubed and there needs to be some space for the oil to flow and act as a bearing.