Setting up AIM MXL Pista dash to work with AEM EMS

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
figgie, thought I would give you an update. I finally figured out what the AIM MXL displays when psi (.1) is selected in racestudio (see screen capture, post 4,5). It displays inHg 100% accuratly. It seems tp do so regardless of what unit option is selected in AEM pro for load. (just like it displays lambda even if AFR gas is chosen) When I went back in AEMpro and changed my load unit to inHg, it all made sense as to what I was seing in the dash, xx.x numbers. So at 19psi the dash is displaying a value of ~68.0 etc. Therefore I was able to set my overboost warning at around ~75. It's not my favorite unit, but just like lambda, I guess I'll have to live with it. ::shrug:: until I find out how to display it to psi.

Thanks for all your help. If I find out anything more, I'll let you know.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
hey glad you straightened it out!

At least you are ACCURATE! Unfortunatly in the wrong units but easy to learn :)

I find it odd that the racestudios does that. You should send a message to AiM about that see if they are working on a fix. Because it is not configurable when it should be! :D

John Reed

Supramania Contributor
Mar 23, 2007
Portland, OR
I wish the ECU channels were more configurable in the Race Studio software, especially on the AEM Aux 5V channels (ADCR). The way I get around this, though not as elegant as getting it all over the serial line, is to wire the signals directly to the AIM dash. I take say the MAP, or one of the ADCR channels, and "T" a wire to the signal into the AEM. I then run this wire into one of the regular input channels on the AIM dash (which are completely configurable). Then you can freely name it and select units. Again, not the slickest way but it is typically only 2-3 wires to run.

I am not sure if it is all on the AIM sports side of things, though they could fix it all with software I am sure. Motec especially, though others I am sure, output a lot more detailed information on the streams which work well with the AIM software.

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
IBoughtASupra;1665746 said:
Did you ever figure out how to display AFR and mmhg for vacuum and PSI for Boost?

Nope, haven't investigated it in a while. Unless I do John Reed's method (2 posts above) by tapping directly into the sensor signals going into the AEM and send to AIM. I haven't had the time to try. I'm behind quite a few Race studio updates also, maybe they've added more features since then. I'll be playing with it soon now that you've brought it up. Being able to set-up the sensor alarms was really the main reason behing this as I don't play much attention to the dash while driving.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
The sensor alarms is my main reason for getting this dash. You had some good luck getting a Pista for the price of a Strada....

How did you get the dash to know the speed? Did you use Marlin Crawler's speed converter?

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
IBoughtASupra;1666295 said:
The sensor alarms is my main reason for getting this dash. You had some good luck getting a Pista for the price of a Strada....

How did you get the dash to know the speed? Did you use Marlin Crawler's speed converter?

The MA70 does have a speed sensor (I think it's used by the abs system) So the AEM EMS receives that signal and sends it to the AIM. So no extra components are needed.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
If I am not on the AEM, am I able to tap into the ABS sensor on the gearbox to get a reading? I wont be on an EMS until March-April but I plan on getting the MXL and installing it before driving it.

Apr 6, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
Excellent and thorough information about overcoming the setup requirements to connect the AIM dash unit to AEM EMS. Only disappointment is that one cannot continue to log the EMS data directly while transmitting to the AIM dash unit, but must now rely on the AIM datalog information to make intelligent decisions about how the EMS and the car is performing. I guess, once the transmitted data is accurate and meaningful, then the log information is also trustworthy. But geez, I'll feel a lot more comfy if the data info I'm hinging my decisions on was from the primary source.

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
BlackDevilSupra;1685832 said:
Excellent and thorough information about overcoming the setup requirements to connect the AIM dash unit to AEM EMS. Only disappointment is that one cannot continue to log the EMS data directly while transmitting to the AIM dash unit, but must now rely on the AIM datalog information to make intelligent decisions about how the EMS and the car is performing. I guess, once the transmitted data is accurate and meaningful, then the log information is also trustworthy. But geez, I'll feel a lot more comfy if the data info I'm hinging my decisions on was from the primary source.

One option would be to use the AEM internal log. It doesn't log as many channels I believe, but it's still a good feature. You just have to go back and download the internal log file after each run or power cycle I think.