Sethron BBK caliper problem

sylquebec

Mar 23, 2008
Quebec
Hi all. I have a big problem. When i first install my lexus caliper from Sethron BBK last summer, i did not lock-tite the bolts that hold the caliper.There was also no lock washer supplied and anyway, the bolt would have been to short to use with a lock washer. I torque everything to spec. After something like 2000km, the caliper came loose while riding and i could feel it moving while touching the brake pedal... I stop to a local store market to get an allen key set to retorque them to be able to drive home... i park the car for the winter after this. Today, decided it was time to solve the problem so i apply lock-tite on the bolt and retorque them.. but the thread are damaged!!! I can't torque the bolt anymore to spec... What can i do? This is an aluminium caliper. Can i helicoil it?? Or it would not be strong enough for a caliper??...This is a critical part and i want it as secure as possible... Ill try to contact sehtron as well...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Helicoil done correctly will be stronger than the original threads, make sure you get a long enough coil, they come in different lengths i.e. 1d, 1.5d, 2d, "d" being the diameter of the bolt, I'd also buy new bolts long enough to fully engage with washers.