Service waterpump

foofers

One who lurks.
Apr 3, 2005
SF, CA
I need to replace my water pump since it's leaking from the weep hole. I wanted to know what causes it to leak from there. I'm guessing there is a rubber? seal that goes and causes it to leak; but besides from that the seal covers the bearings too? So if the seal goes bad, then water gets into the bearings and rust/seize? Can you actually fix this or is it just replace with a new one....my problem is that i have to wait about 2-3 weeks to get a new pump.

Just wanted some input.

Thnx.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
look around.
2-3 weeks from where?
even when i cant get a part from anywhere, a place near me "autopart international" will take my old part, send it out to be refurbished, and then return it to me. and this takes no longer than a week and a half.

keep looking. there's plenty of places that have new pumps available.
and no, you cannot fix it. the only fix is a new pump.

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
when it is coming out of the weep hole that means the water pump is done.
get a new one, it prob. take you no more than 1hr 30min to do cause you have to drain ur coolant and then burp the system afterward.

Make sure your front is jacked up cause the coolant from the water pump hole will leak out and wet ur gasket and render it useless.

foofers

One who lurks.
Apr 3, 2005
SF, CA
Man I live down here in Costa Rica...the land of pot holes. I tried asking around here for a water pump for my car. The only place i can get it from is from a local toyo dealer = ~$90 and it would take about 2 weeks to get here.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
foofers said:
Man I live down here in Costa Rica...the land of pot holes. I tried asking around here for a water pump for my car. The only place i can get it from is from a local toyo dealer = ~$90 and it would take about 2 weeks to get here.

Ebay....

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
try emailing curt at elmhurst toyota or jeff at champion toyota.
the price should be cheaper than your toyo and i think they can ship it to you faster if you willing to pay a little more.

88supraTT

Oct 2, 2005
around the bend
sorry to bring this back but what is the weep hole, my water pump leaks out of the bottom bolt area and i changed the gasket to the water pump but still leaks. its just a drip...drip kind of thing but its just really anoying.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
You are correct, Wendigo. Unfortunately, they are non-serviceable.

88supraTT, there are two small holes, one on the top, one on the bottom, that will leak if the seals in the pump are finished. I'll bet you that your leak is coming from the bottom hole.

88supraTT

Oct 2, 2005
around the bend
i was just woundering becouse i had it apart and replaced the line undernith the cps and still it leaks and i also replaced the water pump gasket,i guess now i will replace the water pump.

thanks caleb

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
It's a spring loaded face seal. Tthey're usually either carbon or ceramic. You can get them at industrial supply places but matching that size might be tough. When you take it out look at the face surfaces as there might be something jammed between them. If they haven't worn beyond limits you can lapped them on a piece of glass and reinstall. Might as well do the bearings while you're in there. Me, I'd just get a new water pump.

Wendigo

Ericsplosion
Jul 25, 2005
New Paltz NY
Question about impellers: For my rebuild I bought a new pump off ebay. My original impeller is stamped the new one is cast. Is there a difference in function or durability?