Serious clean up for the experienced..

rcboricua07

7M powered
May 20, 2007
Massachusetts
alright i wanted to know from those who have completely turned there engine bay upside down, what can i eliminate to clean up the engine bay so that everything is easily accessible and easier to install as of right now my motor is out .. i plan to eliminate the egr system and was wondering wat exactly goes into that do i have to block off vacuum lines and stuff after i take it out...also wat else can i take out..is it easy to remove cruise control and such any help is greatly appreciated and detailed explanations will also be helpful i plan to make a serious 7m which only houses what i need and use there no need to have components in a vehicle u wont be using thanks guys

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Oh my fucking God.

A) Why are you ditching EGR? EGR has ZERO impact on performance.

B) The word is spelled Y-O-U. If you can't take the time to properly punctuate and spell out what it is you are trying to accomplish, I have serious doubts that you'll get anywhere with a 'serious 7m which houses what i need and use there no need to have components in a vehicle u wont be using thanks guys'

C) Stop.

D) Re-evaluate what you want to accomplish with your vehicle. Are you looking for a 300 hp daily driver? 500hp street machine? 700hp drag only vehicle? 900hp dyno queen?

E) Further explain in a little detail what you are trying to accomplish. For the love of God, use some punctuation so that people will be more inclined to actually respond and help you out. Many of us on here will not respond to a poorly thought out, poorly written out plea for help.

F) Your grade on this post.

rcboricua07

7M powered
May 20, 2007
Massachusetts
Well sorry for the misunderstanding but it was unneeded for you to be so rude. You could have just told me in a better way. First of all I'm pretty sure I am capable of producing a serious 7M build for I have done so already, i was just in some need of some help when it came to cleaning up the engine bay, and as for the EGR, the reason for eliminating it is so that I dont get reversion and have the exhaust gases taking up space in th cylinder which fresh air can be occupying. I'm sure you understand how an EGR system works so I don't understand how u can't possibly know how that would be beneficial. The fresher the air fuel mixture the better. As to my goal I'm aiming for an upwards of 700-800 rwhp . The need for your hostility wasn't needed for all i was doing was looking for some useful information.

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
rcboricua07;1011137 said:
Well sorry for the misunderstanding but it was unneeded for you to be so rude. You could have just told me in a better way. First of all I'm pretty sure I am capable of producing a serious 7M build for I have done so already, i was just in some need of some help when it came to cleaning up the engine bay, and as for the EGR, the reason for eliminating it is so that I dont get reversion and have the exhaust gases taking up space in th cylinder which fresh air can be occupying. I'm sure you understand how an EGR system works so I don't understand how u can't possibly know how that would be beneficial. The fresher the air fuel mixture the better. As to my goal I'm aiming for an upwards of 700-800 rwhp . The need for your hostility wasn't needed for all i was doing was looking for some useful information.

check out the MKIII build up gallery... check out what others have done...
Me im kinda leaning towards shoving all the electronics i can under the fender wells... theres a ton of room there.. just will need lota wires extended....going to put the charcoal canister under the right side...it looks like it will fit..

Just how good is a EGR valve with out the rest of the system aka the cats ?
I assume you have no cats... :}

rcboricua07

7M powered
May 20, 2007
Massachusetts
yea I have no cats but thats just a personal thing. You don't necessarily get a significant amount of power by eliminating them but I have other reasons for not having them on. Thanks for the help

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
rcboricua07;1011161 said:
yea I have no cats but thats just a personal thing. You don't necessarily get a significant amount of power by eliminating them but I have other reasons for not having them on. Thanks for the help

My understanding was 3 inch exhaust with no cats over stock with cats = 30+ hp

rcboricua07

7M powered
May 20, 2007
Massachusetts
I'm sure thats correct but I referring to 3" exhaust with cats and 3" without cats will only vary by a few horsepower . Stock exhaust compared to a 3" with no cats will definitely have its differences

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
mkiii222;1011172 said:
It's mainly the 3" test pipe vs a quality 3" high flow cat. There's not much difference there.

I dont have inspection here.. but when i put side pipes on i ordered them 10 inch shorter then what i needed and added peace of pipe.. so if cats ever needed i got the room :}
but damn them high flow cats aint cheap..

rcboricua07

7M powered
May 20, 2007
Massachusetts
yea there not and if you run to rich and fowl up the catalyst your going to have to buy them again and you just wasted 6 or 7 hundred dollars. I guess it all depends on preference. Thats cool though that you don't have inspection that way your not limited to what you can do in a sense

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
rcboricua07;1011137 said:
and as for the EGR, the reason for eliminating it is so that I dont get reversion and have the exhaust gases taking up space in th cylinder which fresh air can be occupying. I'm sure you understand how an EGR system works so I don't understand how u can't possibly know how that would be beneficial. The fresher the air fuel mixture the better.

I know how the EGR works in relation with the ECU...and, it's obvious that you do not. Once again, misinformation from a person that "heard" pure BS and has NFI of how it really works.

1) The EGR reduces combustion gas temps...this in turn makes detonation less likely. There was a marked difference on my motor...50-100 deg C EGT drop due to installing the EGR to pass emissions. It's still on the motor because of this.

2) The USDM ECU is tuned for the EGR...it's fuel and timing maps are based on it being present on the motor. Where this comes into play is at high engine speeds (3000-4000 rpm) under load...you risk detonation as a result.

3) The difference in HP due to "exhaust gases taking up space in the cylinder" is very minor. You could dyno any car with and without the EGR and there be a 5 HP (or less) difference. I'd much rather increase boost and have less to worry about detonation wise.

4) The EGR reduces one of the most noxious emissions gasses there is...nitrogen oxides. If you take it off (along with your CAT), you should be doomed to breathing crappy air the rest of your life and fully experience the health issues that go along with it.

5) If you making a track only car, removing the emissions equipment is fine...you do need to pay attention to what the ECU does with it gone (especially the EGR). If it's not going to be a daily driver, you can disregard #4 above ;)

I'll tell ya, I despise the "clean up the engine bay crusades". Guys start yanking "unneeded" parts off the motor with no idea of why they are there. The result is multiple problems down the road with idle, running rich, misfires, etc, etc. Do what you want, but screwing with an EFI motor without knowing exactly what you're doing will result in you working on it more than you drive it...all to solve self induced problems.

BTW - I hope you have very deep pockets...attaining 700-800 HP is going to require a boat load of $$$. You will have to completely re-build the bottom end, extensive head work, big turbo, IC and associated piping, stand alone EMS...this is just for starters. Not to mention what you will have to do to the drive train. Based on your above posts, this should be interesting ;)

rcboricua07

7M powered
May 20, 2007
Massachusetts
jdub;1011191 said:
I know how the EGR works in relation with the ECU...and, it's obvious that you do not. Once again, misinformation from a person that "heard" pure BS and has NFI of how it really works.

1) The EGR reduces combustion gas temps...this in turn makes detonation less likely. There was a marked difference on my motor...50-100 deg C EGT drop due to installing the EGR to pass emissions. It's still on the motor because of this.

2) The USDM ECU is tuned for the EGR...it's fuel and timing maps are based on it being present on the motor. Where this comes into play is at high engine speeds (3000-4000 rpm) under load...you risk detonation as a result.

3) The difference in HP due to "exhaust gases taking up space in the cylinder" is very minor. You could dyno any car with and without the EGR and there be a 5 P (or less) difference. I'd much rather increase boost and have less to worry about detonation wise.

4) The EGR reduces one of the most noxious emissions gasses there is...nitrogen oxides. If you take it off (along with your CAT), you should be doomed to breathing crappy air the rest of your life and fully experience the health issues that go along with it.

5) If you making a track only car, removing the emissions equipment is fine...you do need to pay attention to what the ECU does with it gone (especially the EGR). If it's not going to be a daily driver, you can disregard #4 above ;)

I'll tell ya, I despise the "clean up the engine bay crusades". Guys start yanking "unneeded" parts off the motor with no idea of why they are there. The result is multiple problems down the road with idle, running rich, misfires, etc, etc. Do what you want, but screwing with an EFI motor without knowing exactly what you're doing will result in you working on it more than you drive it...all to solve self induced problems.

BTW - I hope you have very deep pockets...attaining 700-800 HP is going to require a boat load of $$$. You will have to completely re-build the bottom end, extensive head work, big turbo, IC and associated piping, stand alone EMS...this is just for starters. Not to mention what you will have to do to the drive train. Based on your above posts, this should be interesting ;)

I understand this and I love how everyone likes to attack me instead of help me, and as for your information I have the bottom end completely done the head is all done with all ferrea valvetrain components and I have an aem ems so I do understand what I am getting myself into. It seems to me that you guys like to assume less of us who havent been doing this as long as others when you shouldnt be trying to belittle us. I give thanks to those who actually help those in need who have experience such as IJ who doesnt try and cut you down no matter how dumb the question is instead tries to help which is what this forum is setup to do. I'm not here to argue and have a battle of knowledge with anyone im here to learn and gain useful information ...no one know everything and everyone learns something every now and then

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
It wasn't an attack nor did I belittle you based on the info provided...that is how you chose to to perceive it ;)

There's actually quite a bit of useful info in my post...you never said you were using an AEM EMS. And, I'm not a mind reader.

Like I said, if this is a track car have at it...if it's a daily driver, you won't get my help ;)

jetjock;1011205 said:
Caution, amoeba at 12 o'clock, two miles....

Closing rapidly...LOL :biglaugh:

rcboricua07

7M powered
May 20, 2007
Massachusetts
jdub;1011206 said:
It wasn't an attack nor did I belittle you based on the info provided...that is how you chose to to perceive it ;)

There's actually quite a bit of useful info in my post...you never said you were using an AEM EMS. And, I'm not a mind reader.

Closing rapidly...LOL ;)

Well it wouldnt have hurt to ask...you assumed that i was just throwing everything together and hoping for the best. You are the one whose to be helpful when it comes to these things.. but yes im using and aem ems and what post are you referring to ??

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
rcboricua07;1011208 said:
Well it wouldnt have hurt to ask...you assumed that i was just throwing everything together and hoping for the best. You are the one whose to be helpful when it comes to these things.. but yes im using and aem ems and what post are you referring to ??

First of all why should I have to ask? You are the one looking for info...it's up to you to provide the background of what you have and what your plans are. You might want to read this:

Dealing with the "oldschool" guys (or: How to ask smart questions..)
(highly encouraged)

I was referring to #4 and #5. Let me give you some perspective: I've traveled around this planet for the better part of 30 years...been to 3rd world countries on a very regular basis (just got back from one on Friday) that don't give a rats ass about air quality. Every time I go...watery eyes, blocked sinuses, short breath running, etc...all because the air is full of crap. You're 19 and haven't got to see this...the thing is, you are going to have to live with it a lot longer than I will. It kills me that guys in your generation are willing to do this sort of thing (on a daily driver)...no concept of the consequences. Not to mention what you're doing to the car ;)

Amontgomery

not so sad 10psi
Apr 1, 2008
Cleveland, MS
Just go with a 2JZ and built auto to save money over trying to build a 7M and drivetrain to handle the power. 700-800hp is a bit much to ask of a 7M anyway, the 2JZ will give better flow characteristics because of the larger bore and resulting larger combustion chamber to squeeze larger valves into. And should you go 2JZ, while its out you could seriously clean your engine bay and engine while taking a long time to do the swap perfectly. And should you want to, finding an old 2JZGE block from a wrecked Lexus shouldn't run you to much and would be an excellent start to a nice 2JZ build.

rcboricua07

7M powered
May 20, 2007
Massachusetts
jdub;1011215 said:
First of all why should I have to ask? You are the one looking for info...it's up to you to provide the background of what you have and what your plans are. You might want to read this:

Dealing with the "oldschool" guys (or: How to ask smart questions..)

I was referring to #4 and #5. Let me give you some perspective: I've traveled around this planet for the better part of 30 years...been to 3rd world countries on a very regular basis (just got back from one on Friday) that don't give a rats ass about air quality. Every time I go...watery eyes, blocked sinuses, short breath running, etc...all because the air is full of crap. You're 19 and haven't got to see this...the thing is, you are going to have to live with it a lot longer than I will. It kills me that guys in your generation are willing to do this sort of thing (on a daily driver)...no concept of the consequences. Not to mention what you're doing to the car ;)

Well just because i havent been alive as long as you have and havent experienced what you have doesnt mean you should treat me the way you are. If you were to approach me in a better manner i would be way more understanding of your views and of where you are coming from if you took the time to help me as an individual and not group me in the "typical teenager" group then it would be a different story. I'm willing to accept useful advice from those knowledgeable in what they are saying and im not doing the typical teenage thing by just trying to buy a whole bunch of parts and trying to go fast. I'm trying to do this build correctly and with some guidance I'm sure I will be well off, but it seems to me that all the "old timers" on this forum decided to jump the gun and attack me instead of helping . I'm sorry I didn't know how to go about asking my question but all you had to do was point me in the right direction.