Sensor questions

Intrnlstorm

One Jizzle
Aug 27, 2006
Schenectady, NY
If Anyone can shed some light on what these are. I think that the black one is for the boost gauge. Do I have to run it if I am running aftermarket gauges? Does it do anything else?

The second one I have no clue. It was in the parts box when I got the 1JZ supra.

Joel

Attachments

• 002..jpg
    002..jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 005..jpg
    005..jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 004..jpg
    004..jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 32

vangb2

Sep 14, 2009
minnesota
Black looks like it's a Map Sensor. You need this so your ecu knows what to do when loads are applied. The other sensor looks like Crank sensor. This allows your ecu to know when to lite up your ignition.

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
the map sensor has a plug on the intake side by the firewall that it goes to. the vac line that has a filter on it hooks up to it as well.

JZA70 Limited

Jul 19, 2008
Townsville
the first one is a map sensor, either for the ECU or the boost gauge. the second is an ABS sensor, hence the grommet near the end where it comes through the body.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Thought the MAP sensor said "MAP" on it somewhere? Looks to me that is your stock boost pressure sensor. The stock gauge needs this, mine threw a code when we didn't have it plugged in. Thing's useless anyway, but...

As for the second one, my thoughts are either on CAS (crank angle sensor) or the ABS sensor, but I'm leaning toward CAS myself.

MrOizo

May 24, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
That's a MAP sensor. The bracket it has is the one it has to attach to the firewall. As for the second sensor, not all that sure but most likely CAS like suggested already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intrnlstorm

One Jizzle
Aug 27, 2006
Schenectady, NY
If it is the CAS this one is probably the old one. The PO kept everything that he took off the car.... everything! As for the MAP sensor, if that one on the fire wall is the MAP then the boost gauge one is on the Driver side shock tower? can I get rid of that one?

Joel

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
You can get rid of the sensor for your stock boost gauge, but it will throw a code of some sort, although I forget which one specifically. Does it help to have that gauge hooked up? I really don't think so, it's slow to respond to input and always seemed about 2psi lower than what I'm really running.

vangb2

Sep 14, 2009
minnesota
I don't think toyota puts part /name on there parts. At least I have never seen it.

te72;1602957 said:
Thought the MAP sensor said "MAP" on it somewhere? Looks to me that is your stock boost pressure sensor. The stock gauge needs this, mine threw a code when we didn't have it plugged in. Thing's useless anyway, but...

As for the second one, my thoughts are either on CAS (crank angle sensor) or the ABS sensor, but I'm leaning toward CAS myself.

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
First sensor is the boost gauge sensor for the stock cluster boost gauge (not to be confused by the 1jz MAP sensor). No you don't need it. You won't throw a code. Mine is not attached. I'm running aftermarket

second is the sensor for the abs that bolts inside the spindle. It's up to you if you want to run this thing, again it's not needed to run the car, it is needed so the abs system will work, but if it's deleted like mine, you won't need it.

Intrnlstorm

One Jizzle
Aug 27, 2006
Schenectady, NY
OK guys I have concluded that the second one is definitely the ABS Sensor, and with ABS deleted on my car I don't need it.

The second one is up in the air. Most people say MAP, but others still say Boost gauge. I am going to use them both and when my car is running I am going to pull one at a time to figure out which one is which and post back here for future searches. I do want to thank everyone for their input though.

Joel

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Intrnlstorm;1604195 said:
OK guys I have concluded that the second one is definitely the ABS Sensor, and with ABS deleted on my car I don't need it.

The second one is up in the air. Most people say MAP, but others still say Boost gauge. I am going to use them both and when my car is running I am going to pull one at a time to figure out which one is which and post back here for future searches. I do want to thank everyone for their input though.

Joel

The 1jz MAP sensor is connected via the engine harness by the intake manifold near the firewall.. This boost gauge sensor will mount onto the driver side strut tower and is connect via the body harness that comes through the driver side fender.

Does it say something like "turbo asst. Pressure sensor"?
If it does, you don't need it

MrOizo

May 24, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Damn you guys smoke some funky stuff ;)

The MAP sensor is for the ECU and as mentioned, it sits on the firewall and joins the loom close to where the ECU loom passes through the firewall.

I have a pic of a spare one I sold here:

p1604350_1.jpg

I no longer use this one as I went 2JZ in my JZA70-R.

If you want to see the MAP and gauge sensor side by side, message me.

Cheers.