Semi built auto questions

blk91

Aug 29, 2005
ca
I have a a340 with a mv automatics valvebody , kevlar bands and I beleive 3rd gear rayspestos blues. 1st and 2nd had them aswell but the 2nd gear sprag failed damaging them. 1st and 2nd gear now have what i am told to be better than oe quality replacements. Trans has amsoil synthetic in it an has a ruffly 10x12x1.5 cooler on it. My questions are, is sprag failure that common and is there much else i can do to make the trans stronger , and best guess what kind of power will it hold. any imput would be great
thanks kanan
posts will be a mess for a while wrists broke and im mouse typing :nono: this took 14mins:3d_frown:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
My "understanding" on Sprag failure is it happens if you shift during a burnout, the sprag can't cope with the shock load.
(I have my ECU set to cut power on shifts to save the sprags)

My MV built trans did 50K Km's @ 500rwhp without failing.

I'm 3/4 through rebuilding it and have been addressing any issues I find.

There is only 1 "band" ..

blk91

Aug 29, 2005
ca
I'll cut boost to maybe 10psi then on the shift with the avc-r , I get pretty good 1st 2nd wheel spin. Anything else to avoid doing? I pretty much just WOT with no brake stand to launch. With ect on and OD off and just in drive no manual shifting. And thanks for the info

blk91

Aug 29, 2005
ca
0verall I have pretty good traction, the sumitomos I have are the best tire I have used wich was a nice suprise, seem to only spin when its very cold. Not bad for 350rwhp ...and unkown trq 'dyno said 879ftlbs and im a touch skeptical' on 285/35/18's. Does mv have a website I could not find one

blk91

Aug 29, 2005
ca
Another question. In a third gear pull around 3500 -4000 rpm the rpm drops and then continues with the car countinueing to accelerate. To my under standing this has to do with tourque converter lock up. Is that currect and is it normal? it acts almost like an extra shift.

blk91

Aug 29, 2005
ca
Ok just want to make sure its normal, Its kind of annoying and. I'm guessing I would need a supra stick or the pcm thing that you have to change that? its not mechanically controlled?