Selling the rights to a logo I made, need advice

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
So a friend of mine and myself have, what we call, a graphics company. Were not officialy a company yet however. We made a design for a company last week and they are wanting to buy the rights to the logo to trademark it to use in a commercial and what not. Well, we would like to sell but Im kinda wondering, HOW do I sell the rights? Just make up a contract or what? Is it still legal that way or what?

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
Dude, contact an attorney.

It is really as simple as a contract.

X company buys rights to Y logo for $ from (your name here). (Your name here) no longer has rights to use, display, sale, etc, Y logo.

Sign your name here____________________

Simplistic, but you get the idea.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
OK I was just wondering if I needed a middle party such as an attorney or if I can just make up some simple BS and do it that way, or are there legal stipulations?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
http://www.legalzoom.com/

Take a look there before you call a lawyer. You might be able to do this yourself. See if you find anything there that works (I don't have to time to look right now, but I have used them for other legal stuff in the past...)

Let me know if that helped.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
phoenix6 said:
So a friend of mine and myself have, what we call, a graphics company. Were not officialy a company yet however. We made a design for a company last week and they are wanting to buy the rights to the logo to trademark it to use in a commercial and what not. Well, we would like to sell but Im kinda wondering, HOW do I sell the rights? Just make up a contract or what? Is it still legal that way or what?
sooooooo, what ya gonna do to the car wif teh money :)

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
That website didnt have anything I was looking for... least I dont think. I looked the best I could. Haha its a very low priced job, nothing that could afford shit right now, but well see what happens.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
flight doc89 said:
make them do the paperwork. if they fuck it up, it's their fault.

and then they can make a nice loophole? i think not!

best way to do it would be a lawyer.

heres how i would do it really,

1. ask for a slightly smaller lumpsum upfront
2. pay the legal fees out of your pocket with the understanding that the company will reimburse you.
3. royalties for each time it is used ( $x.xx/ per use)