security system?

tromspert

Oct 19, 2014
PA
Hey guys I have to basically repo my supra as a guy was going to buy it and is attempting to screw me on it. Is there a theft detterent system in my 87? It has a 2jz running on 7m electronics that's why I'm asking here. And yes the titles in my name before anyone asks.

He has both copies of my keys. The agreement was he could let it sit there until it was paid off. Hence asking the theft system questions although I believe it has stock locks and keys

tromspert

Oct 19, 2014
PA
How would I go about getting around this? My key kinda already came out freely while it ran so it didn't hold well. Any way to get another key made from the dealership these days?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
A Toyota dealer will make a key if you are able to provide a non-expired registration and some may require the title. Both must be in YOUR name. If oyu don't have those a Toyota dealer is not supposed to make you a key anymore. They used to do it off VIN or key code alone, but now will not do it without paperwork.

Why you give away keys to a car you still own is beyond me. I'd remove the wheels, rotors and most any other necessary parts you can easily remove so it doesn't drive off in the middle of the night until you can get the keys.

This is a great lesson in why special "deals" and "Agreements" when selling or buying cars are a terrible, terrible idea. Cash on the spot or walk away.

Good luck.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
They can't make it by VIN for at least everything 87 and older. I went there a few years ago when I first got my Supra hoping to get a key cut to the VIN and they said their records only go back to 1990 I believe is what he said, I can't remember for sure, but I do know he couldn't do it for my 87. This was also in early 2011 so they may not even go back that far anymore. He said the only way they could cut a key to the original key code was if I would bring in the code that is printed on the passenger lock cylinder. I didn't think it was worth taking the door apart to get the code so I just had them make a copy of the key I got with the purchase of the car. I may one day get the code if I have the door apart for some other reason.

At this point you may want to get the police involved as it sounds almost like theft, and you don't want to get into trouble trying to "steal" the car back even though it is still yours.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Silver MK3;2034155 said:
They can't make it by VIN for at least everything 87 and older. I went there a few years ago when I first got my Supra hoping to get a key cut to the VIN and they said their records only go back to 1990 I believe is what he said, I can't remember for sure, but I do know he couldn't do it for my 87. This was also in early 2011 so they may not even go back that far anymore. He said the only way they could cut a key to the original key code was if I would bring in the code that is printed on the passenger lock cylinder. I didn't think it was worth taking the door apart to get the code so I just had them make a copy of the key I got with the purchase of the car. I may one day get the code if I have the door apart for some other reason.

At this point you may want to get the police involved as it sounds almost like theft, and you don't want to get into trouble trying to "steal" the car back even though it is still yours.

You're right, great point. He would need the key code.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Silver MK3;2034155 said:

A couple years ago I asked to get a set of keys made for my '88, and this exact thing happened. My keys were so awful, they weren't copy-able, so I pulled apart the door and got the code. They were able to cut them without issue.

tromspert

Oct 19, 2014
PA
I called a repo company who asked me to fax over my proof and said they'd be happy to go get it once I did. We arranged for them to hold it over there and they will have a lock smith get the key code and make new keys for me as well. I'll let you guys know how it goes. The Toyota dealership wasn't sure if it had a chip or not but said they could definitely figure out a way to rekey it if necessary

tromspert

Oct 19, 2014
PA
The car has been recovered but they scraped it and ive yet to see it. I guess he said the intercooler piping was scraping off the ground so ill need new piping I suppose. I told them not to turn the engine over until I can get to it and check over the damage. They have a locksmith coming in on tuesday that will be making new keys for it.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
emiliorescigno;2034174 said:
A couple years ago I asked to get a set of keys made for my '88, and this exact thing happened. My keys were so awful, they weren't copy-able, so I pulled apart the door and got the code. They were able to cut them without issue.

How far into the door did you have to go to get the code? Did the exterior handle have to be pulled, or are you able to see the code once you have the door panel off and look past the plastic liner?

tromspert;2034247 said:
The car has been recovered but they scraped it and ive yet to see it. I guess he said the intercooler piping was scraping off the ground so ill need new piping I suppose. I told them not to turn the engine over until I can get to it and check over the damage. They have a locksmith coming in on tuesday that will be making new keys for it.

Glad to hear you got the car back, but sorry to hear about the damage. Hopefully it isn't anything too major.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Silver MK3;2034255 said:
How far into the door did you have to go to get the code? Did the exterior handle have to be pulled, or are you able to see the code once you have the door panel off and look past the plastic liner?

As I recall you could see it with just the interior panel/liner removed. Though I was also removing the exterior handle so I'm not positive. I do remember either way it was tough to see and required *just* the right light to see the numbers.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
suprarx7nut;2034258 said:
As I recall you could see it with just the interior panel/liner removed. Though I was also removing the exterior handle so I'm not positive. I do remember either way it was tough to see and required *just* the right light to see the numbers.

Alright, next time I pull the door panel for something I might try and get my code and just write it down somewhere so I have it.

tromspert

Oct 19, 2014
PA
I'll more than likely have to replace quite a bit, they found a bunch of other stolen cars registration cards stashed in the car so I'm not the first person he tried this on.