seals

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Only Toyota makes them. A lot of leaks can be fixed by checking a few things.

Clean your seals and lube with a silicone spray.

Make sure you install top while on a level surface.

Tighten up top in the proper order.

If you have done all this and it still leaks you are going to need new seals.

supalvr

Jan 20, 2014
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
thanks, I have used vaseline and silicone weather stipping spray, I have followed the diagram for tightening and my car doesn't roll in neutral and no e-brake so must be level. I was hoping to go less expensive than Toyota. Thanks though.

Communistwookie

Jul 5, 2013
Dallas, TX
I bought mine from Elmhurst toyota and it was a little bit cheaper than what drift motion sells them for. Off the top of my head I believe its approximately $230 shipped

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Where precisely is it leaking? If it's over the doors, then it could be your drip rails that the seals attach to on the sides. If that's the case replacing the seals won't solve the problem, you'll need to remove the rails, clean them up, and apply new sealer when you re-install them. Otherwise water gets under the rails and drips onto your left leg (driver) and right leg (passenger) as well as running down the A-pillar. That sucks when the rain is as cold as it's been lately.

Communistwookie

Jul 5, 2013
Dallas, TX
mirage83;1987835 said:
Where precisely is it leaking? If it's over the doors, then it could be your drip rails that the seals attach to on the sides. If that's the case replacing the seals won't solve the problem, you'll need to remove the rails, clean them up, and apply new sealer when you re-install them. Otherwise water gets under the rails and drips onto your left leg (driver) and right leg (passenger) as well as running down the A-pillar. That sucks when the rain is as cold as it's been lately.

Is sealant/Silicone required? i just cleaned up my old rails and installed the new seals without any silicone/sealant and i don't get any leaks?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No do not use silicone on them.

Best off just replacing all 4 seals. Iirc it's like 160 depending on what you get them for. But it's worth it. They lasted 20-25years so you prolly won't have to replace them again.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
I'd use some of the 3M seal adhesive on the rear of the rails, works well and lasts. From where you say the water is coming in that's my bet as to what the problem is, water getting behind the rails.