Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
Last edited:

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I've never used it Dunk by they hang out over on BITOG and lots of people swear by them. I don't believe they make a true syn though. I used to use a place called Specialty Formulations over there for many of my lubricants but I don't think he's still in business. The guy is a master petro chemist. His stock stuff was great but the nice thing was he'd custom blend for your application. Anyway, you could do worse than Schaeffers

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
I've heard this stuff is second to none, but nobody could tell me why. So I am hoping someone will be able to explain the "why".

Thanks for the input so far guys.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I dunno if I'd call it second to none. Just about anything you buy today that's Grp III or better with a decent add pack is going to be fine. Once you've studied this stuff as long as I have you end up coming full circle to realize for the typical engine it really doesn't matter. These days I buy whatever is on sale or rebate. For the current fill that's PP 5-20.

If you really want some input on them go over there and read up. Or run a fill of it and do analysis.

Wait....pigs can fly?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Came to the same conclusion as JJ...the typical motor does not care what *brand* oil is used. I look for a stout add pack in a 0W or 5W-30 oil...the Grp IV and V syn's hold up better in a turbo motor IMO. In the case of Pennzoil Platinum (a Grp III), it holds up as good as any of the "true" syn oils.

In the case of Schaeffer's, never used it either, but it does have a good rep. The only way to know how it works for you is to use it and do analysis every 3K or so to see how it's holding up and what it does to your wear metals.