SCCA supra

Racer48

the man on dirt
i recently picked up an 86.5 non turbo supra which i will post pics of as soon as a take some lol, but on back to the subject of the build. i will be building this car to be a full blown scca road course/time attack car. the car is not in the worlds greatest shape so i don't fell to bad putting her on a hack saw diet :naughty:. My goal is to get the car down to about 2900lbs with motor, cage, and driver. At this point i have not made up my mind on what motor to run im currently throwing the idea of a 1uz, lq9, or a 408 bow tie motor (carb motor). i am also trying to figure out how to run a full afco nitrogen suspention under the car this set up will require some serious custom mounting brackets to be made, but i will figure that out later. Well thats all i have worked out in my head right now i am going to sit down an figure out every thing that i want to do sometime soon so any comments or input will be greatly apriciated so let my know what you would like or would do in a track car.

thanks,
dylan

Racer48

the man on dirt
some pics of where i was at a few days ago the car i have the dash, seats, carpet, and all of the air conditioning components from behind the dashed removed now. ill put picks of where i get to tomorrow and of the whole car. also i have nearly a whole gray interior for sale so pm me if u need anything

Attachments

• 2011-07-24_20-17-56_276.jpg
    2011-07-24_20-17-56_276.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 32
  • 2011-07-24_20-18-07_69.jpg
    2011-07-24_20-18-07_69.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 2011-07-24_20-18-02_625.jpg
    2011-07-24_20-18-02_625.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 2011-07-24_20-18-16_13.jpg
    2011-07-24_20-18-16_13.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 32

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
If you plan to "race" the car, I would make sure you look at all requirements for the engine and drivetrain for the type of racing you would be competing in. Otherwise best bang for the buck would be a LT1, or for more a LS1.

Racer48

the man on dirt
yea you would get more bang for your buck, but i would run into the weight issue. the reason is in the prepared and modified class your minimum weight goes up with displacement.

---------- Post added at 01:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 AM ----------

this is what i am thing i am going to try and acomplish in the build tell me what u think:aigo:

I have chosen an 86.5 Toyota Supra to build as a
dedicated race car, and i am in the process of stripping
it down to start my build up.

Hear are my current plans:
Step 1: gutting the car including doors, hatch, all under
the dash components, the dash itself, all interior
panels, sound deading, removing door glass completely
then replacing the rest of the glass with regulation
thickness lexan, and all other flammable or unnecessary components.

Step 2: Fully caging the car, building a sheet metal dash
and center console, putting a fuel cell and battery in
the rear hatch (this section of the car will be isolated
from the rest of the car)

Step 3(electronics): i will be wiring all nessessary
electronic hardware such as lights, gauges, ecu, fans,
ect. to a dividable fuse block so they can be turned on
via switches by the driver. i would like to run some kind
of data loging device would like some input on if the is
allowed or not i have not made it all the way threw the
rule book yet.

Step 4(chassis): i will be reinforcing the subframs some
how i have not quite got that figured out. for safety i
will be putting scatter shields where ever is necessary.
i have not compeltly figured this section the build out
yet any comments or input would be greatly appreciated.

Step 5(drive line): I will be doing the 1uzfe swap in
this car and for those of you that don't know this is the
4.0L lexus v8 with some basic bolt ons such as headers,
exhaust this will depend on my class, port and polished
stock heads, port and polished intake manifold, cams, possibly a valve train later down the road, will maintain
stock bottom end with no power adders. i will be running
the engine with stock ecu at first then an AEM EMS down
the road sometime. for the trans it will probobly be the
w58 out of a NA supra, driveshaft will be a custom 1
peice. i will maintain the stock rear end seeing that its
and LSD and axles.

Step 6(brakes and suspension): in my experience in racing
this is the part that can get tricky real quick if you
are not careful, but i think i have it figured out. i
will probably run a set of afco nitrogen coilovers that
we have laying around the shop, larger sway bar probably
27-30mm with aftermarket end links, front and rear camber
kit, toe kit front and rear, custom upper a arms, have
not figured out lower control arms, rear traction arms,
solid subframe mounts, and then a full poly bushing kit.
for brakes i will probly run stock calipers with EBC
drilled and slotted rotors and EBC blue stuff pads.

this is the basics of the setup i will be running, but
trust me this will not be a very easy build its going to
require a lot of custom parts.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
You may be able to purchase a wiring harness from Summit that has a fuse box/relays to control lights, wipers, etc... I think its from painless harnesses or something like that.

As for the engine, the intake manifold is your biggest restriction when it comes to making power. When you install the AEM or other standalone you can go ITB or a twin tube intake with a common TB with a crossover pipe and that will wake it up a lot in the top end. If you’re going to build the valve train then you will be safe to rev the hell out of it, but until that intake manifold is addressed the revs will not be utilized.

Check out lextreme.com and v-eight.com, v-eight has more custom fabrication and info about the intake manifolds.

On the W58, I can vouch for it, it feels good behind the 1UZ and if its healthy you shouldnt have any issues.

Good luck! If you need 1UZ wiring help, let me know.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Datalogging, nitrogen coilovers, AEM EMS...and stock brake calipers?
Seems like you'd want more stopping power than stock.

Racer48

the man on dirt
i agree to with the intake restriction that is why i was planning on running the itbs so i will have more of a power band to play with on long straights. also on the brakes i recently discovered i will be able to adapt my wilwood big brake kit from my dirt car to the supra so that has changed lol.

Racer48

the man on dirt
Its been awhile since i updated the thread so let me fill you in i am going saturday to pick up a 1uz for the car i have also got the car full striped down on the in side and will start fabing up the interir next week or so. The next big things are getting the motor running and fabing up the suspention

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Unless you just had the Wilwoods laying around, you can used 94-04 Cobra calipers and rotors up front and Evo 8 Brembo 2 pot rear calipers with a slightly modified 05+ STI rear rotor.

Definitely interested in pics of the suspension setup. Friend is planning on using sprint car suspension on his, and if that goes well I'll probably run it on mine as well.

Racer48

the man on dirt
Quin;1772355 said:
Unless you just had the Wilwoods laying around, you can used 94-04 Cobra calipers and rotors up front and Evo 8 Brembo 2 pot rear calipers with a slightly modified 05+ STI rear rotor.

Definitely interested in pics of the suspension setup. Friend is planning on using sprint car suspension on his, and if that goes well I'll probably run it on mine as well.

yes i do actually from one of our old late models as of right now i am tossing around ideas on how to addapt them.

that is a very intresting idea, but they way that suspention geymoetry is set up i wonder if it is going to work on our cars. I am starting the suspention geymetry drawing toningt ill let u know where it goes.