Scary low oil pressure

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
Ok, I have a question about my newly rebuilt engine. I shimmed the oil pump but I still have low hot oil pressure. When I first start up oil pressure is great, like 45-50 psi at idle. As it warms up it drops which I expect. While driving the first 20 minutes or so my pressure seems to be "in spec" with a little over 10psi per 1k rpm. After continued driving I notice that the pressure continues to drop and seems like it is just barely in spec, perhaps a little lower. At this point, my pressure at idle is sitting not even a millimeter above the zero mark on the gauge. I have not put a live gauge on it yet, but I intend to. My main question in the thread deals more with the turbo feed. I have a Boss Sr journal bearing turbo with an unrestricted -6 AN feed. Is that feed too large for the turbo? Could the large feed be causing my oil pressure to be low? Should I put a restrictor in the line? I was running a -4 AN feed on my CT and didn't seem to have his issue. I bought the Boss used and it didn't come with a restrictor so I assumed maybe it required more oil but my pressure problem has got me wondering now. Thanks in advance.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Should be running a 4an feed and a 10an drain.

After that Put a test gauge on it and see what the numbers actually are.

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
Thanks, looks like I'll be ordering fittings. I have the -10 drain but the -4 from my ct kit isn't long enough for the boss. So could this be causing my low oil pressure? Assuming a live gauge confirms that it is low not just a faulty sending unit?