Scan Tools! Informative Discussion

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
http://www.obdcom.com/index.htm

Scan tools are definitely a necessity when it comes to working on newer vehicles, and it just so happens that the dealership I am working at now wants me to have one of my own as opposed to supplying me with one.

What I have been looking into doing is buying a small laptop, either an Asus EEE, or maybe an Acer Aspire and getting something like what is shown in the link. Good idea or no?

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with generic scan tools - and the ups and the downs to them.

What is the cheapest way out on a decent reliable scan tool?

What are all the things that I am not going to be able to do with a generic that I would be able to do with a manufacturer specific?

Thanks in advance.

NoKittenMKIII

40mm BOOM
Mar 22, 2009
Sands of Iraq
Manufacturer specific models will allow access to more computer systems on the car. A Toyota one will allow access to the ABS and traction control computers as well as the OBDII emissions and engine management system. Also, some fault codes for the engine management system may be manufacturer specific, and can only be interpreted by manufacturer specific scanners. If you go the lap top route, see if the dealership can point you in the right direction for manufacturer specific software. Otherwise, a good quality Snap-on or Mac scanner will handle most of it.

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
I am working at an olds/buick/GMC dealer... and I mostly see late 80's all the way up to brand new 09 models... so I have quite a range of stuff that I see come through... and I will most likely be doing a lot of used car inspections, so I won't always be working on domestic vehicles.

It is so weird, my shop has tech 2's and everything, but I have yet to use one of theirs (I don't even think they realize yet that I am fully trained on the tech 2, haha)

The guys at my shop nicknamed me Maytag as soon as they figured out that I have most of my experience working with Toyota... so funny - in the first three days at this GM shop I have seen more things broken then an entire month at the Toyota dealer...

The tech next to me pays 25 a week to have a shop supplied computer to use for reference information... honestly - there is no way I could see myself ever doing that.

1350 dollars a year is the math on that... and I can download all of alldata for FREE.