Sawzall Cutting Question

comadreha

VicDic
Aug 13, 2006
Inland Empire, CA
For you Gentlemen & Ladies who have used a reciprocating saw to cut out your Lower Suspension Arm Alignment Cam Bolts, what type of blades did you use?

I am in well-known predicament of having all my bolts being seized in the bushing inner sleeves and have had no luck in getting them out any other way. I am going to give the mighty sawzall a try for the first time. They are available to rent from Home Depot. Initially I tried the 6" 18 TPI Bi-Metal Cobalt blades based on the recommendation of a customer service rep. Each blade was chewed up within 20 seconds. Back to Home Depot I went and picked up a 10" 8/12 TPI Bi-Metal. These only lasted only 10 seconds more then the first set.

Damn, I know it must be something I am doing wrong, but cannot figure it out right now. I was thinking that maybe it is the angle which the bolt is being cut at. 45 degrees is the best I can get, because the car cannot be jacked up any further to get the sawzall vertical.

Can I trouble some of you sawzall veterans to share some of your operating techniques for cutting in this situation?

soup

fiend
Apr 4, 2005
Vancouver
old old post, but it's worth a reply.

-Turn OFF the OSCILLATING setting. you want a straight blade motion.
-an 18 tpi blade is good, i prefer more teeth
-cut in a downward direction if possible
-let the saw do the work, don't push on it.
-change out the blade/cut it back when the chips stop flying off.

- use a grinder with a thin disk where possible. it takes one minute vs twenty on a sawzall.

I just went through this and it blows. HTH.

Last edited:

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I would use an angle grinder because I am good with it. I haven't ever had to do this though so I can't tell you exactly the best way. Also did you know that you can turn the sawzall blade around in the sawzall? Driftmotion has replacement bolts for this issue.

roadboy

Supra Owner
Jan 22, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
some people actually prefer using a torch to cut bolts ect. thats what i saw him do when he had to cut something even though we have other proper tools to cut them

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Long as you have the space, an angle grinder is my preferred method in cases like this.