Save my 88T thread... forNever ending..

mk3design

The Name is Snakes
Jul 1, 2006
Arizona
1JZ was purchased today :)

I'll give a picture update of the whole car and new engine when it arrives!

Paint will be the stock gunmetal color

mk3design

The Name is Snakes
Jul 1, 2006
Arizona
Well...Everyone is welcome to make a pit stop at my house on the Jerome cruise..though I dont think the engine will be here by then..

engineer4speed

Oct 22, 2008
Prescott, AZ
I was wondering what did you use to prep your car for paint? I am going to be painting an all trac celica during spring break and wanted to know what sort of equipment or methods you used for sanding and prepping your supra for paint? Any brand names of items you used would be greatly appreciated!

mk3design

The Name is Snakes
Jul 1, 2006
Arizona
I just sand it with a 5" orbital sander with 80 grit

Wipe wax/grease remover on

Prime with duplicolor primer(bought a gallon of primer and gallon of thinner, about $45 at autozone)

Using my friends guns, not sure what model... its a nice gravity feed one what was $200 used off ebay. Im sure you could make do with a $80 setup..

Haven't wetsanded or bought paint yet though...

mk3design

The Name is Snakes
Jul 1, 2006
Arizona
Crappy update...but I havent shown pics of this in awhile... It is all ready for full primer!(i have 1 little ding left on the drivers door..no biggie).. Hopfully can get this primed next weekend as long as my friend isnt using his spray guns.

supra%20033.jpg

supra%20032.jpg

MORE PICS TOMORROW when the 1J comes in!

mk3design

The Name is Snakes
Jul 1, 2006
Arizona
Wow...I had to drag this thing 30ft through gravel because the UPS guy didnt have the skill to back up to my garage...damn Im still sweating! My wife was home for the delivery so I didnt get to inspect it when it was delivered..

Overall I got a very clean engine! It looks to have been taken car of pretty well. The pulleys looked new and the timing belt was looking good, I will replace these anyways of course. I pulled the valve covers and there wasnt any crud in it and the oil was a decent color.

The wireing harness is complete except there is like 1 part cut on I think the ABS computer.. And the fuse box I got was cut on both places(see pics) but im not sure..do I use my stock one anyways??

I thought the engine was gonna be front sump...it came with a rear sump pan! So I now have 2! Does anyone need one?

Enjoy the pics..

Not sure if im gonna powdercoat anything on this engine or just go for a clean OEM looking install..It looks good as it! :)

supra&

supra%20035.jpg

supra%20036.jpg

supra%20037.jpg

supra%20038.jpg

supra%20039.jpg

Thanks JHot Anyone looking should give them a call!

mk3design

The Name is Snakes
Jul 1, 2006
Arizona
Can I use a 5spd 7m harness to use with my auto 1jz harness? And does it need to be a pre 89? (for wiring the fuse box and under dash)

mk3design

The Name is Snakes
Jul 1, 2006
Arizona
Well since no one is bumping my thread with answers to my questions.... this is what I did tonight...

This is just a while after spraying, as you can tell it needs some wetsanding and buffing... Ill be re-doing the brake booster in flat black too... thats why its not done.. And I said FCK the tranny tunnel because no one will see it.. boo lazy me.

Anyways this is my first time spraying paint out of a gun... it was good practice for when I do the car. I learned alot!

supra 040.jpg

supra 041.jpg

supra 042.jpg

supra 043.jpg

supra 044.jpg

mk3design

The Name is Snakes
Jul 1, 2006
Arizona
Well Im a little disappointed right now in how it turned out... the engine bay came out way better, lol..

First... there are some flat spot where I didnt spray wet enough...

And there is some orange peel.. not much...

After wetsanding with 1000,1500,2000 it looks "okay". (not pictured)

Please note that the hatch and drivers door are open and obviously the fenders arent bolted up in position..

Once its all wetsanded and polished I will post more...

What can I say...its my first time.

paint 001.jpg

paint 002.jpg

paint 003.jpg

paint 004.jpg

paint 005.jpg

paint 006.jpg

paint 007.jpg

paint 008.jpg

paint 009.jpg

paint 010.jpg

paint 011.jpg

paint 012.jpg

paint 013.jpg

paint 014.jpg

Racer-X

Jan 25, 2009
Rendsburg
If it´s your first time you shouldn´t be disappointed. Painting is not that easy if you haven´t done it before. It needs practice.

Devoted2Supra

Mar 15, 2009
Easton, Pennsylvania
Dam fine job so far sir! Really like how this is coming along! Makes me wish I had a garage to my house even more. I've never painted a car in my life either but it looks really good to me. Must not be able to see what you see is wrong with it.

Could you elaborate on wet sanding please? Still trying to learn all I need for when I get to this step. Actually have never heard of it.

Why did you get rid of the 2jz-ge engine that you ordered for a 1jz-ge? Just curious because you didn't state why and purchased that one and even painted it up a bit. Great stuff so far! Can't wait to see more work in progress and when it's finally done!

~Dave

mk3design

The Name is Snakes
Jul 1, 2006
Arizona
Well much to my relief I figured out a decent way to wetsand and make it look good...this is a before and after of nothing to 1000 grit wetsand... still need to do 1500 and 2000. this is gonna take forever, haha

paint&

paint%20015.jpg

mk3design

The Name is Snakes
Jul 1, 2006
Arizona
Okay, I got the hatch all done(1000,1500, 2000, buff/polish) so here is a preview of how it will look....

god this is a huge learning experience..

paint&

paint%20018.jpg

paint%20019.jpg

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
mk3design;1278933 said:
Okay, I got the hatch all done(1000,1500, 2000, buff/polish) so here is a preview of how it will look....

god this is a huge learning experience..

That looks awesome, great job. People always ask "Who painted your car, it looks great?. The real question should be "Who buffed and polished your car?" That's where the true skills in a paint job come into play.