San antonio

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Frank, you can do it with the head on. Just pop the valve covers, take measurements with a feeler gauge, and do a little math. Which ever ones are out of spec replace them with the correct size. If you need help I can swing by sometime and check things out. It's really not that hard.

046cv.jpg

Mike, I'll be taking my 14yr/old nephew. I just recently found out that he's into fast cars. Unless my car craps out before then, or it rains that day I'll see you there.

Last edited:

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I bet you were there. Was that you in the silver SC300??

Yeah, I ran a 13.27@101mph. For some reason I really thought I was going to do better than that. My mph was exactly the same when I ran that 14.63 last time out when my clutch was slipping. I thought that was strange. Miguel and some friends were there. I told you guys I was bad at names. We had a good time. Hopefully Miguel got some good footage and will post the runs when he has the time.

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
Suprapowaz!(2);1820127 said:

Yeah, I ran a 13.27@101mph. For some reason I really thought I was going to do better than that. My mph was exactly the same when I ran that 14.63 last time out when my clutch was slipping. I thought that was strange. Miguel and some friends were there. I told you guys I was bad at names. We had a good time. Hopefully Miguel got some good footage and will post the runs when he has the time.

Not too bad Rufus considering all the issues you have been having with the clutch and boost controller. Sorry i couldn't make it. I'm gettin old and can't recuperate like i use to. When are you going again?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Thanks. I figure that's were my car is a its power levels it's putting out. As predicted before I think I'm putting down 280-290 to the wheels running only 10psi of boost. I need to start messing with this MAP ECU to see if I can extract more power out of my current set up.

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
So what, other than messing with the MAP ECU, are your plans for more power? You have all the components for more power already. If i remember you just need am AFPR and a bigger turbor to hit 350-400hp ......correct!? 280-290hp isn't bad but with 550cc injectors, fuel pump upgrade, lexus afm, hard pipes, and a heavy azz foot you "should be" higher....imo. Did you give thought to a larger clamping pressure plate? With those drag radials I'm sure a better clamping pressure plate can add some need torque to transfer to those wheels. Just complete the Lexus AFM upgrade then adjust the MAP ECU. If you can't get the fuel to the 550's then messing with the MAP does nothing....imo.

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Suprapowaz!(2);1820127 said:

Im glad one of us ran good that night, cuz I did horribly :icon_mad: Although i wasn't planning on running the car I dont regret doing it, now i just need to figure whats going on with mine. I got the videos coming too, either by tonight or tommorrow for sure, the comentary was awesome by the way ha ha ha!! All in all, it was a fun night at the drag strip and Rufus it was a pleasure kicking it with you. We seriously need to all go have a Supra night or just a "cars guy night out" at the strip even if we dont run our cars.

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
1988ma70supra,

What were your time splits out there? I talked to Rufus and he said he had fun except for all the drag cars gettin most of the runs. I wouldnt mine taking mine but at this point its at a joke to bring it to something like a drag strip. We should at least do something. We're (as far as those on this thread) getting our cars more road worthy than garage kept.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Darell, I think my car is were it's supposed to be as far as horsepower. 290rwhp + 15% drivetrain loss + 335HP at the crank. That's if I'm running that much HP. That would be a tad over 100hp over stock. That sounds about right for the little mods that I have, on a smallish turbo only running 10psi.

I don't think getting a beefier PP is necessary right now cause there's no sign of slippage. Stock PP and ACT sprung six puck seems to be holding good for now. AFPR isn't in order at the moment either. I'd really like to play with the MAP ECU cause I can wire in the AEM wideband and start datalogging. I'd like to see how my AFR's are doing across the board on screen rather than watching the gauge at WOT. When I see the need bump up the fuel pressure cause I'm leaning out then I'll do so. I really don't think I'm going to need to. I'm not going for 500+rwhp.

Miguel, yeah it was cool to hang out with you guys. I'd definately like to do this again. I may not run my car again unless I've done something different and feel I might gain something out of it. I can't wait for the vids. Post them when you get them uploaded. Thanks.

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
San Antonio, Texas, United States
satx88supra;1820571 said:
1988ma70supra,

What were your time splits out there? I talked to Rufus and he said he had fun except for all the drag cars gettin most of the runs. I wouldnt mine taking mine but at this point its at a joke to bring it to something like a drag strip. We should at least do something. We're (as far as those on this thread) getting our cars more road worthy than garage kept.
My first run was a 15.5 on low boost (it was set at 10psi) and it all went down hill from there. I noticed a wierd noise on the second pass so i let off and ended up getting a 17.2. The idle started to fluctuate so I checked it out after the pass and noticed a vacuum hose had popped off. I plugged it back in and the idle went back to normal but on my boost/vacuum guage i noticed there was still a slight leak somewhere. I ran it again but increased the boost to about 15psi then I could hear the leak and a weird rattleing sound on the top end. I didnt really want to push it too much anymore but i still ran it again against my friends truck for fun. I noticed a couple of days prior to the strip that my BOV wasnt opening up anymore so I'm thinking that maybe thats the culprit to my vacuum problem and its possible that it might be leaking during WOT. I'm gonna look into it this week and see what i find.

On a different note, I know what you mean by trying to keep the cars road worthy but we really should at least try and set a day of the month aside to get together either at the strip, a park, or something. We can all pitch and have a bbq or just go watch the races not necessarily run our cars. Shoot we even saw some guys there in a bone stock Saturn and a couple of Metros on the parking lot so there's certainly no shame in taking a stock Supra out.

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
Does anyone know the major difference between the yellow plug wire harness to the grey? I have a bunch of broken connectors on mine (yellow plug) and i have a donor harness with grey plugs. The only thing i know of is the external HAC sensor on the 88 model that was deleted (rather added internally to the ECU in 89+). Miguel you have an 88....do you know of any other differences.

Last edited: