SAFC II failed?

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Is there anyway to tell if an safc 2 has failed? I have installed mine and made sure all the wiring is correct, even down to having the brown ground close to the ecu and the black far away.

The safc boots up and I set it to karman, number of cylinders to 6 and so on. When I go to the "test" sensor menu the throttle position and karman signals are showing on the screen but are not active (voltages are stuck at 0.005v). I start the car and its obvious the karman signal isnt present due to AFM code coming up.

Is it possible the unit has failed and I should go and try to get my money back from the guy I bought this thing from? :aigo:

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
The only time I have seen them fail, the screen goes dead, or goes to 100% lit up.
Are you sure that you did not get the 2 wires that intercept the AFM signal reversed ?

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
+1 the wires are crossed i did that also following up a DIY and it was noted wrong but in the pictures it was correct.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
I re-attempted the install of my SAFC-II the other day and in fact I believe there is something wrong with it.

I even purchased a per-89 patch harness off a member that had an SAFC wired into it. I rechecked the existing wire splices on it which were indeed correct. Then soldered on my SAFC harness to the splices.

The car isnt getting a AFM signal when the orange and pink wires are hooked up as the check engine light comes on. There must be something going on with it, maybe it needs an update or something? Or can it be repaired some how thats not super expensive? Its pretty shitty I was sold a pooched computer for $200 last year. :(

Edit: I got all the wiring info directly from the apexi website

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
take the 4 screws out the back and make sure the wire is plugged securely into the internals of the safc.
sometimes if the wire is pulled hard some stuff wont work but it will still power on. once you pull it apart you'll see what i mean.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
okay, I opened up the SAFC and took a look inside. everything appears to be alright. I even did a continuity test from the pins in the board to the pins at the harness plug and they all have a connection.