Sad day - How bad is it?

Dachande

Arrrrrr Matey
Apr 3, 2005
South Carolina
I left the driveway looking like this:
main.php

Coming back home around a slight curve into the neighborhood I saw ice. All I could do was slow down to around 15mph before I hit the ice. I slid about 100 feet into a telephone pole and broke it in half.
164735_546677891737_77603320_31783819_4050369_n.jpg

main.php

main.php

The foglight pushed back into the plastic intercooler pipe shattering it. The foglight still works. :nono:

main.php

main.php

That's as far as I made it. The hood opened fine, and so does the passenger side door. Doesn't look like the fender budged. Headlight will obviously not open currently. I plan to replace the intercooler pipe damage and then get an alignment.

For those of you guys educated on body work/Supra structural integrity; Are there any key areas I should investigate after the bumper is off? Wrecking cars is new to me, so I'm not sure which parts of the crash support are easily remedied.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Err... a little off topic, but did that telephone pole BLEED??? That's hardcore.

By the looks of things, that's very minor damage. New bumper, nose, headlight, front markers, and I bet it'll be good as new.

Aug 12, 2010
P.G. County, Maryland
You might have to pull the core support forwards some on that side, it looks like the hoop for your headlight is kinda bent, but i don't see any structural damage other than that. Replace the cosmetic and paint your bumper, you should be fine.

I bet that telephone pole will get the hell out of the way next time it sees you coming. lol

Dachande

Arrrrrr Matey
Apr 3, 2005
South Carolina
main.php

main.php

main.php

I happened to have another intercooler pipe, so I put it on and drove around the block. The car seems to drive straight without a problem. It probably wouldn't hurt to get an alignment, but it doesn't feel that it got knocked out of place.
The fender got bowed out a little, and the headlight doesn't fit flush. Not sure if the motor was damaged, as I can't raise it with that metal brace in the way.
I know the front crash bar needs to be 89+, but does the metal bracing that surrounds the headlights, and that the nose cone bolts to also need to be from an 89+ car? I'd like to start buying what I need ASAP, but don't want to buy something incompatible.

thanks,

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Looks like it might have bent the end of the frame there where the bumper bolts on...

I think most of the stuff from an early car will work. If you get that metal support out of the way, the fender might go back where it's supposed to be.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Lucky the pole didn't come down ontop of the car and add further concerns.

But damn it looks like that pole broke much more easily then I have ever seen.

I think you'll get er looking like before.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Poodles;1661592 said:
Looks like it might have bent the end of the frame there where the bumper bolts on...

I think most of the stuff from an early car will work. If you get that metal support out of the way, the fender might go back where it's supposed to be.

Seriously doubt it'll have bent the rail horn, the Bumper REO is designed to pivot on the mounting boltsif hit on eaither side of the rail.

Looks like an easy repair it could have been much worse Dachande.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
^I had to do a double take! lol

Lots of blood in these photos this guy is clearly the White MK3 Driving Murderer, or is some kind of Vigilante.

It'll all buff out but sorry about having a 7M. It might BHG. :(

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
I'm glad your OK and the car didn't get beat-up too bad. The quality of poles in South Carolina has really gone down it seems.

Dachande

Arrrrrr Matey
Apr 3, 2005
South Carolina
Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to source the parts I need to replace and go from there.

Zumtizzle;1661624 said:
Lots of blood in these photos this guy is clearly the White MK3 Driving Murderer, or is some kind of Vigilante.
We do drivebys around here with .50BMG rifles
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I help out when I can on Supraforums, but going to SF for knowledge is like going to Lowes to learn how to build a house.

all that from 15mph?
Yes, take a heavy car and hit a stationary object bedded several feet into the ground.

jessemkiiis

Sep 28, 2009
Childersburg AL,
I have a 88 turbo parts car with a good front end, cant help you on a bumper.
as far as the bumper support and nose panel, Ill give em to you as long as you cover shipping?

Dachande

Arrrrrr Matey
Apr 3, 2005
South Carolina
I've been pretty busy since the little accident,but I found this nice blue car that happened to be an organ donor :icon_bigg
163818_547317739477_77603320_31796718_7775819_n.jpg

After some help from a friend..
p1667556_1.jpg

Shouldn't be long now!

Forgot to note that the pre89 metal support for the nose cone is not compatible with the 89+ stuff.