Rust prevention

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
I just bought a used test pipe from another member that has some surface rust on it (pretty fair amount). I'm going to sand the rust off and clean it up, does anyone have any suggestions on a product I can spray on the test pipe to prevent the rust from reforming?

I know there will be several options at Napa but I'm just looking for recommendations on products with good success stories.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
duphigheaten.jpg

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Supra_dan;1816693 said:
I just wouldn't worry about it lol

Yes, I know that doesn't help you at all. But again, I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't like to have parts on my car rusty. I don't care if it's the exhaust that won't ever be seen, I like all aspects of my car to be as nice as possible.

bioskyline;1816695 said:

I'll look into 'em, thanks a lot.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Here's the thing....Why even bother worrying about it. That is some hard steel down there. Plus it is going to rust no matter what you do.... The exhaust is the most exposed part under there.

TrqMnstr

HKS Whore!!!
Oct 31, 2005
Los Angeles, California, United States
91Supra313;1816702 said:
Here's the thing....Why even bother worrying about it. That is some hard steel down there. Plus it is going to rust no matter what you do.... The exhaust is the most exposed part under there.

Hence, the suggested paint. Rusty exhaust would bother me personally even if no one else sees it. It's there and not my thing. Rust is not JDM

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
No, that's overkill. You'd have to pull the pan off the engine and bake it too because all the high heat paints require high temps to cure them. Oil pans only get to about 240 degrees max.

+1 on the VHT paint. It holds up to MUCH higher heat than the other brands. It's the only paint I've ever used on a turbo manifold or downpipe that didn't flake or rub off. VHT makes some other excellent paints too. They have epoxy paint that I've used that's almost as durable as powder coating (expensive stuff though, like $15 a can).

The paint will still get stone chips though, so it'll still rust, just slower.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
destrux;1816777 said:
The paint will still get stone chips though, so it'll still rust, just slower.

The rust is primarily on the flanges and bolts, so I'm going to replace the bolts and coat what I can. I'm not worried about a spec or two, but the flanges are so coated right now I'm concerned about the rust transferring (I don't know if this is a warranted concern or not) to my brand new downpipe and brand new exhaust.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Could always powder coat it... or plastidip, although if it got any holes in it, could it trap water under the coat? That wouldn't be good... I'd have it coated.