Rust in battery area

ska_ponch

Feb 23, 2009
Mo Val
So a couple days ago i noticed some rust going on in the battery area is this something i should be really worried about :1zhelp:

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
Is your battery leaking? It may be caused by spilled battery acid from the years of holding batteries. I had a fair amount of rust in my battery area when I bought my Supra. To get rid of it I wiped the area down with a water/baking soda mixture to neutralize the acid (if I remember correctly, 3 parts baking soda and 1 part water), then sanded it down to bare metal, primed and painted it. I then relocated my battery to my trunk but had a major electrical problem that caused my battery to leak and low and behold, within one week I started seeing metal corrosion from the leaky battery case. I did the same there, fixed the electrical problem, and then bought an Optima sealed battery which hasn't leaked since.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Very common problem and can be a pain to fully eradicate. Almost ANY non-sealed battery can leak over time. I'm itching to switch mine out for a gel battery (Optima or Die Hard Platinum) just so I dont have to keep dealing with that acid problem.

Do what the last poster said to get rid of it. Use the water/baking soda, sand it down, prime it and seal it as best you can.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
How bad is it, it could just be you mistaking the plastic tray underneath the battery for part of the cars metal body and thinking it's worse than it is, or it could be as bad as wide spread rust and through the metal where it would have to be cut out and replaced for best results.

ska_ponch

Feb 23, 2009
Mo Val
yea its not the tray i cleaned it all out and it hasnt spread that bad. i was also thinking when washing the car water goes into the area and i guess over time and not paying attention to it rust appeared