Running too rich, possible solution.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Like quite a few guys here my car has been running pretty rich on startup, & idle. Once I'm driving it's fine. It would stumble and die at times. It was driving me crazy because I'd constantly change my MAPECU table to try to compensate for that low end richness. After reading plenty of "I'm running pig rich" threads I decided to get my hands dirty and find out what my problem could be. Here's what I found 20 minutes ago. This is the hose that goes from the EGR vacuum modulator to the EGR valve. It's seen better days. I have to replace it, and see how my cars acts afterwards. I'm sure that's the culprit, and will let you guys know hopefully today.

Guys/gals, don't be afraid to get your hands dirty. You'll be surprised at what you might find/fix.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Replaced hose. Very rich startup, and idle stumbling went away. Can you believe it!?
Idle smoothed out without stumbling. Now to retune my MAPECU since it's all rich cause I was compensating for a large leak. No wonder why my afr's were all over the place during cruise mode.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
3p141592654;1991034 said:
That EGR hose is discontinued. Just wondering what you used to replace it?

Err, uhhh... just some regular ass hose that you buy by the foot from O'Reilly's Auto. I was going to replace it with the "real deal", but stumble on to some other problems. I know it has to be heat resistant, and what I have on there isn't. The original stuff seemed to be made of hard silicone, or maybe the heat hardened it over the last 23 years.
What would you recommend as a suitable replacement since that part is discontinued?