Running aftermarket BOV

jza240sx

Formerly jz240kouki
Jul 18, 2009
New Jersey
Im buying a brand new Tial from a friend for a great price. Car is sitting at the shop right now and he said he will weld it on for free. As of right now everything is stock beside the front mount and an intake. Im even running stock downpipe for now til i make the exhaust. I just wanna know if running a aftermarket bov venting into the atmosphere woould effect my car in a negative or positive way.

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
you'll run rich when you shift but not really. They have done test and the only real thing it effects is spool up time. But really it insteed I don't think it would effect alot at all. Insteed of venting back into the intake it vents to the air and your turbos are still going to suck in the air it needs no matter what. the only thing I noticed was my A/F ratio while shifting that's about it. I'm sure someone will post on here about more information on this.

jza240sx

Formerly jz240kouki
Jul 18, 2009
New Jersey
Thanks for the reply guyys. I am more worried about the performance of the car. My sr20 ran dumb rich and shitty after i put my blow off valve on. Then again MAF sucks lol... BUT many people i have talked to who owned these motors said it dont really effect it much but run a little rich. How much does it effect the spool time?? ( not really worried about it im just curious..always cool to learn something :D )

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
1J's are MAP based.. your motor isn't going to run any differently due to an atmospheric BOV. however, each time you vent on a MAF based motor like an RB or SR, the motor runs rich (possibly stalls) because the post-metered air escapes while the ECU continues to add fuel.

Tial's do let out a decent amount of air, but I don't think it's anything substantial when it comes to response..

jza240sx

Formerly jz240kouki
Jul 18, 2009
New Jersey
Dylan JZ;1591590 said:
1J's are MAP based.. your motor isn't going to run any differently due to an atmospheric BOV. however, each time you vent on a MAF based motor like an RB or SR, the motor runs rich (possibly stalls) because the post-metered air escapes while the ECU continues to add fuel.

Tial's do let out a decent amount of air, but I don't think it's anything substantial when it comes to response..

Awsome i just wanted to make sure with everyone else on this forum before i put this BOV on