Running a little rich

Sonex2000

Apr 3, 2005
Just swaped my O2 sensor and the car is still running a little rich. I have no codes. (for the first time in so many years) plus after I'm driving I'm geting some smoke comming out the back. Like a little bit oil burn from the turbo I'm assuming. The engine is rebuilt.

Ideas as what is going on here? and what I should test?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Are you running stock injectors, stock fuel pump? Do you have an adjustable fuelpump? The smoke could be gas burning also. I did a search on running rich, and I came up with 500 threads. If no one chimes in, start reading some of those threads and see what there problem was. Good luck.

Sonex2000

Apr 3, 2005
everything is stock. except the interior of the engine. Ross piston .20 over

king bearings. port and polished head. MHG.....i need to updated my profile.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
No, but I would check the fuel pressure per the TRSM. Also, make sure all your vac lines are routed correctly. Did you remove anything to clean up the bay?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
What hoses?

How many miles on the re-build?

Keep in mind the 7M tends to run a touch rich, especially under boost. You need a wideband AFR to really see what the motor is doing.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ok...a little bit of oil smoke is normal until the rings fully seat. You could be getting a little oil from the turbo seal as you said too, if it was not re-built.

What oil did you break in with and when did you change it?

Again...what hoses?

Sonex2000

Apr 3, 2005
10- 30w for the first 500miles
then got an oil change and put in synthetic. I had my mechanic do the re hosing. he eliminated some things. EGR, on top of the throttle body he put the two nipples together. so newbie to this, so don't kill me

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
LOL...I'm not going to kill ya, just slap ya around a little bit ;)
(j/k)

The 2 vac lines on top of the TB are for the BVSV and the EGR VSV...should not make you run rich.

How did you break in? Did you use the "get on it hard" in the 1st 20 miles or "take it easy" technique?

I would have not switched to syn oil so soon...you could be delaying your oil rings seating. What syn oil are you using and what weight?

Sonex2000

Apr 3, 2005
I'm on my 3rd engine. beating on it was what got me to where I am. I'm taking it easy.

10-30w castrol inside

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Well...what's done is done. Hopefully your rings will finish seating...they should, but may take a bit longer. You will get that bit of blue smoke until they do. Keep tabs on your oil level...check weekly at min. I would run 1 qt over the full mark on the dip stick.

For your running rich problem...like I said, you will need a wideband to tell if that is what in fact it is. I would check and make sure you have vac actually going to the FPR...just pull the line off, idle should increase a bit, and you should be able to hear/feel the vac on the FPR line.

Sonex2000

Apr 3, 2005
thanks. i'll check that and let you know. it was really bad before. but it's not as bad now. so I guess they're setting in. but lets see. thanks jdub. i'll keep you posted

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
NP ;)

Consider a re-torque on your head bolts...it's time to do that. Did you use stock or ARP?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Talk to the mechanic and see if he used moly or motor oil for lube and if he remembers what torque. That's what you use for your re-torque (assuming he used ARP spec).

BTW - Might want to consider hooking up the BVSV to the Charcoal Can and route the vac lines to the TB as stock. Not a big deal if the can is in the car and it will purge the can of vapor.