Run in with the law and my concealed gun...

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
I had a run in with a Washington State Trooper tonight and had a weird experience I'd thought I share.

BACKGROUND:
The car in front of me almost got into an accident with another vehicle. It was driving in two lanes at once and then brake checked the other car. This caused horns to honk and some fingers from the other drivers. This didn't affect me as I was behind watching the action take place.

PRECURSOR:
After the above incident I was at a stop light behind said driver. We were both turning left to merge on the highway. Once the light turned green, I shit you not, this driver decides to go 7MPH to MERGE on the freeway. There was about 100 Feet left of the on ramp. I was still in the top part of the funnel where it merges to one lane. So judging off of this drivers last performance of the side-swipe-brake-check maneuver I witnessed, I did not want to wait for this person to do whatever fuck up he thought was necessary for me. So I took the proactive approach and passed him on the right. Keep in mind this wasn't a floor it and eat my shit pass either. It was slow enough to see the persons face, I mean come on! They were going under 10MPH. Not more than 5 seconds later I see cherries in my rear view... there was a Trooper behind the other car! I'm thinking to myself "finally a cop when you need one". While I was still driving ahead it took about TEN SECONDS for the driver of the other car to yield right for the officer to rip past them and ride my ass for about 2 miles. (He only turned his lights on to get the other car out of the way. When he was behind me the lights were off.) After the 2 miles the lights came on behind me and I yielded right.

THE PULL OVER: Now I conceal carry a gun almost everywhere I go. So the first thing I do is dome light on, car off, and hands out the window.Then when he came to the window I said to the officer, "Officer there is a firearm in the vehicle and I do have a permit for it". EVERY single time I've been pulled over the officer would say "OK thank you for telling me, where is it?" I tell them whether its on me or in the car and that's the end of it. In this particular time it was in the center console of the Soup (it fits the Glock 26 perfect btw). THIS IS WHERE IT GETS WEIRD! This officer tells me to HAND IT TO HIM!! In my mind I was thinking "Holy shit! The last thing I would need I a cop interpreting something wrong and I end up on the 11 o'clock news as me trying to harm an officer". Seriously the Seattle cops are under investigation for it! The feeling of giving him my gun was like dropping something important down a malfunctioning garbage disposal and sticking your hand down to retrieve it!! I know I didn't legally have to give it to him, but I didn't want to give him a reason to make it personal. I was like " OKAY I'M REACHING DOWN , I'M GRABBING THE BARREL, and did a play by play pretty much to not only have it on the recording, but I was hoping I was less likely to get shot. Keep in mind his hand on his gun the whole time...

Long story short, he gave me a ticket for "Improper lane usage" and I have him knowingly recorded saying the other driver was at fault.

THE QUESTION: Has anyone had an officer pull you over and ask you to HAND THEM YOUR GUN? And if you read the whole story, what would you do differently?

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
That's interesting. I've never had an experience quite like that. Perhaps the officer felt more comfortable knowing that the weapon was no longer in your your possession. If he felt inclined to take my firearm with no justifiable reason, I'd be incline to tell him to go back to whatever hole he crawled from. It's ironic that we the people that carry legally generally follow correct protocol to carry their respective weapons yet cases like this show up all the time....sad.

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
I can't say I have had that issue. I did get a ticket from a game warden for shooting a paper target at a shooting range. Apparently you have to have a $10 fishing license to be there but that wasn't posted anywhere.
To answer your question, that is some really shady business when a cop tells you to hand him a loaded gun. I don't have that much faith in people. Did he even clear it when you gave it to him? It's things like that that are the reason that I don't pull over for cops in dark secluded areas. Personally I would have asked, "Why do you want my gun?" "Can I show you my permit instead?" or "May I clear it first?"

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
supranewbie;1976505 said:
Wow. I think I'd have to tell him to eat shit. You've got yourself some cajones. I'm glad he didn't put you down.

Ya ... Me too!

MkIII FTW;1976510 said:
That's interesting. I've never had an experience quite like that. Perhaps the officer felt more comfortable knowing that the weapon was no longer in your your possession. If he felt inclined to take my firearm with no justifiable reason, I'd be incline to tell him to go back to whatever hole he crawled from. It's ironic that we the people that carry legally generally follow correct protocol to carry their respective weapons yet cases like this show up all the time....sad.

Maybe he did feel more comfortable, but when he had my gun he tossed it on my roof!! I was thinking WTF he scratched my paint! And whats to stop me from getting out of the car and grabbing my gun from the roof?! I was also raining that night and my gun was being exposed to water which is not cool, sure a little water its not gonna hurt a glock but still...

T3rril79;1976531 said:
I can't say I have had that issue. I did get a ticket from a game warden for shooting a paper target at a shooting range. Apparently you have to have a $10 fishing license to be there but that wasn't posted anywhere.
To answer your question, that is some really shady business when a cop tells you to hand him a loaded gun. I don't have that much faith in people. Did he even clear it when you gave it to him? It's things like that that are the reason that I don't pull over for cops in dark secluded areas. Personally I would have asked, "Why do you want my gun?" "Can I show you my permit instead?" or "May I clear it first?"

No he didn't clear it at all! He took it from me and tossed it on my roof!

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Aren't you supposed to hand him your drivers license and CC permit at the same time? There's no need to verbally warn a police officer you have a firearm on you. When he receives the permit he'll know there's a firearm in the vehicle. When you calmly tell him "there is a firearm in the vehicle and I do have a permit for it" he may interpret it as "I HAVE A FUCKING GUN AND NOT AFRAID TO SHOOT YOUR PIG ASS BITCH!!! SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND." Next time just hand him both DL and CCL.

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
I mean i have known ppl to annouce that they have a carry weapon. I don't think there is much harm in doing that. However, with this experience, i would consider a strategy change for the next time. And also, no clearing a load gun is a serious no no

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Hmmm. I detect a little too much ego invested in carrying. WA state has no duty to inform. Therefore, unless being told to step out, you should remain quiet. That said having told him you should have flatly refused his request and asked how else he wanted to proceed.

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
See that's a really big grey area. In some states the protocol is to announce that there is a weapon present, in some cases you cause more trouble for yourself if you do. It really is a roll of the dice at that point. Which in my opinion isn't right for those that follow the laws.

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
T3rril79;1976703 said:
i would consider a strategy change for the next time.
I will definitely be changing my strategy for next time.

jetjock;1977138 said:
Hmmm. I detect a little too much ego invested in carrying. WA state has no duty to inform. Therefore, unless being told to step out, you should remain quiet. That said having told him you should have flatly refused his request and asked how else he wanted to proceed.
To much ego in carrying in general? Or to much ego for me personally? If the latter, I try to be as humble as possible in my life. But I respect you opinion. When I bought the gun awhile ago I took a safety class and one of the things they recommended when being pulled over was to announce you have a firearm in the car. That has never failed me before this incident.

Moving forward I will keep quiet unless asked to step out and next time will definitely deny his request to hand over my gun.

MkIII FTW;1977154 said:
See that's a really big grey area. In some states the protocol is to announce that there is a weapon present, in some cases you cause more trouble for yourself if you do. It really is a roll of the dice at that point. Which in my opinion isn't right for those that follow the laws.
I agree 100%!

gsxr141;1977172 said:
i just want to know if you're going to fight the ticket. him giving you one was a dick move.

You bet you supralovin' ass I am! Even though it's only $124, your right, I shouldn't have been cited in the first place!

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
T3rril79;1977302 said:
Did the officer ever ask to see your carry permit?

Nope he never asked!

Now that I think about it, in the 5 or so encounters I have been pulled over, not one officer asked for my permit... not one! It kind of makes you think what's the point of a permit?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reading this, I kept asking myself "what would I do". Of course.. in Canada if we carry a gun they will beat us up and put US in the garburetor... (spelling?). But I have watch informative youtubes about American rights with being pulled over and you gotta judge if its good to butt heads with the officer or not. If you judge wrong, they have the ability to make your life a bit more miserable. You gotta really commit to your rights and I don't think that is painfree.

I have asked about rights where I live in regards to pull-overs and its very hard to get clear answers. If I lived in the states, I would have a dash cam.

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
This is one of those cases where its best to know what are the laws of your respective state for concealed carry and know those laws better than the officer that is trying to enforce them. Not to get into a battle of legal fisticuffs but to help prevent a situation such as this from escalating somewhere it should not have gone in the first place. Unfortunately humans are greedy, once we smell or taste power we use that power to bulldoze over those that don't have that power to get ahead. A lot of officers will use the badge as a symbol of power and not as one to "serve and protect".

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
I would never hand an officer my gun, In fact I would resist them checking it if at all possible, some officers don;t follow the law or state laws allow them to check a fire arm. If i were to let them see it i would remove myself from where it is and make the officer get it. last thing you want to to be shot while handing over your gun.

TomatoSupra

I would have just said "Would you like me to step out of my car so you can retrieve the handgun"? There is NO WAY i would have touched a loaded handgun with a cop at my window. In MN you only have to say something if you are concealing it and he asks you.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Am I the only one that thinks the worst part is how he tossed it on the roof and scratched the paint? I honestly don't know how i would react to that lol

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk