run a one piece driveshaft?

ratpick63

detroit iron defector
May 4, 2006
Glendale, CA
I was wondering how many people are running one piece driveshafts in their Supras. Any clearance issues with stock exhaust placement or anything else I should know before having the driveline shop build me one? What was Toyota thinking anyway? "Truck-style driveshaft" behind a "truck motor" I guess.

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
I run a JAWS aluminum one. A little resonation ~2500 rpm decel (mostly 2nd, 3rd gear) and some ringing under hard accel, but the other benifits outweigh the slight noise increase. Even though, if i could do it again, i would have spent the extra 200 for the CF

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
yeah, a few people make carbon fiber driveshafts for the supra, ive heard great things about 'em

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
Alum, got it from HPF. JAWS is sold as balanced the other is not. At least that is what Jeff mentioned when he still worked there (bought through him).

ratpick63

detroit iron defector
May 4, 2006
Glendale, CA
Thanks jdub, plenty of useful info there. I contacted a local shop and they remember doing a few a couple years ago, said it'd be around $300 for aluminum. Anyone know of aluminum half shafts? Proly out of my price range if available, but why wouldn't they be?

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
One piece aluminum on my 1992 and when I owned the 1986.5 it had a one piece aluminum as well, ran over 4 years on both. No problems with resonance, sounds, vibration, clearance, etc. Just make sure the shop balances it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I had an aluminum driveshaft on the old 5.0 Mustang. It ran much quiter and smoother. The old unit was slightly dented so it vibrated a bit. It came as a one piece.

Perhaps a consideration was smoothness though. A u-joint is only supposed to have so much of an angle to it. And two driveshafts will help that cause.

Not to rub salt into wounds but it only cost me $160 from SVO.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
My car came with a 1-pce aluminum. The previous owner said it was one of the most noticeable "seat of the pants" improvements he made to the car. When engagin gears at low speed I hear a slight metallic ping, but who cares? Sidewayzsupra had a used one in the for sale section a while back. Check it out. I bought his C/F hood :)

westonboege

May 25, 2005
providence RI
Im running a 1pc aluminum from suprasport... not sure if they make them inhouse or not... Bolted right on in about 20 mins.. Nice difference in weight between stock and 1pc... Starting from a standstill is almost effortless... just need to touch the gas...

I get a little resonance when slowly accelerating... kind of sounds like a jet or something...

ToyoHabu

Jun 25, 2005
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
I think I read somewhere that aluminium drive shafts reduce the possibility of breaking other expensive bits in the drive train. The twistability of aluminium takes the peaks out of the torque spikes. CF also is a good dampning material but very rigid might cause problems in high HP, TQ applications?