Rumbling noise from rear wheels?

KMinAF

Old Man
Sep 15, 2006
American Fork, UT
My 87 turbo with 136k miles has a rumbling noise from what I thought was a bad rear wheel bearing. Apparently the previous owner thought the same thing because when I pulled the left rear spindle it looked as though the bearing had been replaced already. I went ahead and installed a new bearing and seals but when I test drove the car after wards the sound hadn't changed. I have tried listening with a stethoscope but I hear no distinct rumbling or difference in sound from either wheel.

Has anyone experienced similar issues? Could this be a diff carrier bearing? The rumbling sound is definitely emanating from the rear of the car. It is speed related but does not change pitch when I load the bearing by turning left or right. I have no drive shaft vibrations but could a u joint cause such a noise? The drive shaft seems tight with no play at either yoke. I had the car aligned after installing the bearing and all wheels/hubs spin true.
Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated

jstricker

Sep 10, 2010
Kansas
Just a suggestion but we had that problem with one of the race cars. The cause of the noise turned out to be a failed rear half of the driveshaft. The insulating rubber failed allowing the rear shaft to shorten up by quite a bit (about 40 mm IIRC). This caused the center bearing to be pulled to the rear in its rubber mount and caused the large ring/shield to rub on the center carrier bearing support assemble.

You might want to check that your rear driveshaft is still secure and of the correct length and that it's not putting an improper load on the carrier bearing.

John Stricker
Russell, KS

nsngarage

Jan 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I had the same noise, I am swapping to the gte and a one piece driveshaft.. so I'll know in a day or two if it was the carrier bearing or not. I'll let you know for sure, that noise was starting to drive me NUTS