rps clutch problems

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
So...I've got 2000 miles on my 89 turbo 5spd (engine and trans from an 87) and I put an rps street/sport clutch in it that's supposed to hold 340ft-lbs of torque. I've got a k&n intake and a bic ddp wastegate shimmed with 2 washers on each bolt. For some reason the clutch doesn't grab anymore. I can barely get the car to move and almost didn't make it home. I put it through a 1000 mile break in where I never dumped the clutch or raced the car, only 70mph on the highway being very gentle with the clutch. i'm also supposed to go to the local drag track tonight at 5 and it's 11:11 right now. I have the clutch from my old car that I might see if I can get it in the car in 6 hours but I don't know.

Anybody else have similar problems with this clutch? It's a full face clutch. even in the past 1000 miles I haven't really beaten on it, just a few wot runs down backroads.

Before I pull the tranny I'm gonna try bleeding the clutch (prolly won't help) and maybe replacing the slave cylinder if I can get my hands on one fast enough. Any other tips or tricks would help.

I also just re-adjusted the pedal yesterday when it started to slip.

Supraholic

Mar 31, 2005
Houston, TX
when you say the car bearly moves.. bearly moves in first gear too?? may be center part of the disk broke loose.. I have Clutch masters clutch.. its been perfect so far... (10 K miles)

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
so you're trying to say to just take the pp to a local shop and have them rebuild it? I know my rps plate is the exact same plate as the stock one I pulled off...I can't find ANY differences, and the disk looked exactly the same too.

Anyway, I picked up a good brand aftermarket slave cylinder since I pulled the old one out, and the boot was full of fluid and I coudn't get rod to go back in. I paid $27 for the new one, which is better than 400+ on a new clutch just to see if that was the problem. I can actually drive the car now, but it's still engaging at the very top.

All looked good in the bellhousing, nice and clean and dry still, and it looks like the fork is working right (had somebody press the pedal while I watched) and the pp is releasing...I dunno why it's not grabbing good though. I'm gonna go boosting around after work and see if it still slips (did last night)

VanSupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Van,B.C.
Did you resurface the flywheel and did you install the disc the right way? That's all I can think of. I'm using the RPS 3200lb PP with stock Toyota disc with no probs here.(knock on wood).