RPS 3200 w/ 6 puck VS. SPEC Clutch Stage 5

topgear

The Thrillseeker.
Jun 4, 2007
Tallinn
MK3
I have the RPS 3200 w/ 6 puck sprung disc and Fidanza flywheel. (520whp & 506ft lbs @ the wheels)
It is now about 5000miles old, never got to the strip, street driving only,
but next season going to try drag events with MT drag radials
and I think that clutch will slip,
still looking for single disk clutch and thinking to rebuild the 6 puck disk (125$ @ HPF) or to get new one SPEC Clutch Stage 5, (710 ft/lb Torque Capacity)
any ideas witch way to go ?

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Best idea I have heard!
Single plate clutches suck in high HP &TQ
They are on or off not slipped especially the lower the puck.
To make the single clamp hard enough not to slip just punching it you have to upgrade the spring force just to hold useually this amount of force on a single causes crank walk.

The on/off from engagement of a puck disk vs solid multi solid plate causes way higher shock load on the R154 tearing it up more then it could take.
Not to mention can not be slipped and not street friendly.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
I was looking at the same setup your running, even flywheel.
How was your street driving? Friendly?
That clutch is rated to 730ft/lbs why do you think it would slip?

topgear

The Thrillseeker.
Jun 4, 2007
Tallinn
yep the rps setup is not street friendly, but I still manage to drive it arond the town and do not find any trouble to deal with it.
Only if I get stuck in a traffic jam it is a little problem, cause after 10 minutes I feel like a old man that can not press the clutch:icon_bigg
Now got used to avoid that kind of situations

I think that it wont last cause its is now "goes to work" at the end of the clutch pedal movement, the engagement was sooner when it was new.
I`m not shure, but worried, how not to weld it to the flywheel.

I know that multidisk is good, even better than good, but it costs twise as much the whole setup (flywheel, clutch kit and r154 trans). Can`t spend that much on car that allready killed my budged few times.

So have to deside
RPS rebuild or Spec stage 5

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Poodles;1470579 said:
RPS 3200 = crank walk 'nuff said

and clutch explosions....and broken bell housings....and fubar trans input shafts...and fail

I'd stay clear of rps and spec as they seem to fail very often!

Crank walk is a risk with all upgraded pressure plates though...

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
F*** I allready ordered my flywheel:( Or else I would of just went with the twin disc. Maybe I can cancel.

What is the clamping force on the twin disc?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
dumbo;1470890 said:
F*** I allready ordered my flywheel:( Or else I would of just went with the twin disc. Maybe I can cancel.

Hope it wasn't aluminum depending on what clutch material you chose as you'll run the risk of welding the clutch disk to the flywheel steel insert! Aluminum flywheels in high powered cars + wrong friction material clutch disk= OOOOH NOOO!

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
dumbo;1470890 said:

High end OS Giken 2425lbs about 25% ~800 less then rps this is from specs on I believe the upgraded twin package with the billet plate the steel I remember was even less but their plates actually hold up to advertised specs unlike the cheap remanufactored OEM clutches.

Their plate comes with a flywheel chromoly I believe but significantly lighter then OEM.

They hold more power & require less clamping force because by using multi plates it creates greater surface area for friction and contact then any single can ever do. If you dont understand that physics its like saying instead of buying a big brake kit im going to save money by pressing my foot harder on the brake pedal, then after that acting suprised when the disk lock up or fails.

I bought mine off ebay for around 300 slightly used from hottscennessey.
One of my great finds kind of like the GA70 gauge cluster with a 9k tach I bought from zoonwen for $50.

I am using a tilton release bearing instead of the movement alteration kit.

topgear

The Thrillseeker.
Jun 4, 2007
Tallinn
cant find multi disk clutch less than for a 2k for my setup
so
desided to order a rebuild for a rps 6 puck.

If it didnt blow up during few years driving around on the street, so I think it will live longer than few drag race events.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
gaboonviper85;1470924 said:
Hope it wasn't aluminum depending on what clutch material you chose as you'll run the risk of welding the clutch disk to the flywheel steel insert! Aluminum flywheels in high powered cars + wrong friction material clutch disk= OOOOH NOOO!

Yup haha, went with the Fidanza, also gonna go with the ACT HD PP, and the Six puck disc. Guess I'll see. Good for 520ft/lbs hope its enough.

Topgear let me know how you make out.-EDIT-Beat me too it.

topgear

The Thrillseeker.
Jun 4, 2007
Tallinn
dumbo;1471864 said:
Yup haha, went with the Fidanza, also gonna go with the ACT HD PP, and the Six puck disc. Guess I'll see. Good for 520ft/lbs hope its enough.

Topgear let me know how you make out.-EDIT-Beat me too it.
Ok,
but results `ll be avaliable next year:)