Rpms hunt at idle

JoeSupra

Hey guys, I just got my 91 turbo mk3 to run agian. The only problem I have is that it doesnt idle right. It sometimes stays at like 500 goes up to 700 then drops back down etc.. I just put on a new 57 trim, ported 3 inch turbo elbow and 2.5 intercooler pipes and a spearco style intercooler. There is no airfilter on the stock maf because I dont have an adaptor to put one on since I broke my other one and im also running open downpipe. I looked at all vaccum lines they are all connected on the turbo side since I didnt touch the intake side. Does anybody know what can cause my idle to hunt like it does? Thanks alot.

F_T_F

C2H5OH
Nov 12, 2006
fort fun, colorado
even a very tiny hole can jack with your system. i had a vacume leak not too long ago my vac was readin fine and it wasnt untill i acctually stuck my head rite next to the manifold that i heard a slight hiss. the only other thing i can guess is that because you dont have a filter that you may have gunked up or damaged the afm some how but then the car would be screwy all across the RPM range

lppro

LP Performance & off road
Apr 21, 2007
Sugar Hill, Georgia, United States
im not trying to thread jack here but when my car is ideling (when i can get it to idel that it) the boost guage it at 0 when i give it gas it goes down then when it boosts up its fine oh and my car runs like crap to except when i get on the and after 2500 or 3k its perfect... but shouldent by boost guage be reeding some vac when idoling?

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
If it idles like crap, and worse when its warm

yet runs fine with some throttle

its a vacuum leak.

grab some ether (starting fluid), and spray it around at various points, until you hear the rpms drop or raise (prolly raise). It can be VERY subtle. I did this on a customers Caddy the other day at work, found it quickly.