rounded off arp's

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
The "professional Mechanic" rounded off one of my headbolts.

I have tried hammering a slightly smaller socket on with no luck.

Is there some kind of socket I can use to get it out without having to drill it out?

keep in mind these are 12 point bolts

I think 1j was talking about it a while back but I cannot find the thread it is in.

thanks

nsngarage

Jan 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
They make sockets that have what looks like a swirled star on it, but it's sort of reverse threaded.. um... I think they're called bolt grip extractors or something?

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Theres a bolt extractor for bolts and such i dunno if the space is big enough but its about $40 for the set of sockets.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
wow!

how did he round off a 12 point bolt unless he used the WRONG sized socket!! That is surprising!!

Anyway. CAM needs to come out before attempting one of those bolt extrators.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Good luck getting enough room to use an extractor as their bodies are larger than the counterbore in the head.

If it were me I'd grab a 12.5mm drill (1/2" will work as it's 12.7mm) and drill down into the allenkey socket in the top of the stud till the nuts pops off then replace the stud and nut as both are available from ARP.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
IJ.;1337676 said:
Good luck getting enough room to use an extractor as their bodies are larger than the counterbore in the head.

If it were me I'd grab a 12.5mm drill (1/2" will work as it's 12.7mm) and drill down into the allenkey socket in the top of the stud till the nuts pops off then replace the stud and nut as both are available from ARP.

Whoops! Pay attention IJ, he's using ARP bolts, not studs. At least that's what he says.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Put a magnet down in there to catch some of the shavings, the entire heat will likely need to be cleaned thoroughly as well though. The previous owner of my engine did the same thing but on a stud nut and used an extractor. He decided it would be a good idea to grind the head aluminum away so he could fit it in there, and i guarantee you...a disassembly of the bottom end showed the results of letting metal get in there, so be careful.